Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

They All Look Alike You Know...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14896

Re: They All Look Alike You Know...

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 am
I'd bet the amount of Jack Dorsey's paycheck that the only thing Nancy had to do with that tweet is that she is the 'employer' of the social media manager on her staff that actually did it.

The next tweet that Nancy actually types and hits the send button would be the first one.

An intern screwed up. Move on already.
Amen to every bit of that.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
I'd bet the amount of Jack Dorsey's paycheck that the only thing Nancy had to do with that tweet is that she is the 'employer' of the social media manager on her staff that actually did it.

The next tweet that Nancy actually types and hits the send button would be the first one.

The thing is if you give somebody permission to tweet on your behalf you own the tweets.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 5:10 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:

The thing is if you give somebody permission to tweet on your behalf you own the tweets.

The censorship king from out of state.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Absolutely.

However, a simple case of mistaken identity when no one was caused any harm is not worthy of any attention. No one denies this was a mistake.

The only reason this is a topic is because it's fun to bag on politicians for every little thing. And this is a very little thing.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Absolutely.

However, a simple case of mistaken identity when no one was caused any harm is not worthy of any attention. No one denies this was a mistake.

The only reason this is a topic is because it's fun to bag on politicians for every little thing. And this is a very little thing.
I disagree, Robert. Nobody would confuse Al Kaline with Mickey Lolich. This reinforces a stereotype that black people have been fighting for ages. The fact that it was accidental and not on purpose should not excuse the stupidity and lack of attention to matter. This was supposed to honor a great ballplayer, and it came off as a slur.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 pm

You must not know any 20-something people who have never seen an MLB game, let alone be able to identify ANY player, regardless of their race. Sure, someone got regrettably reckless on social media. The end.

I know of plenty of people that are not baseball fans that would be guessing who Ted Williams is vs. Carl Yastrzemski.

It's only offensive because you choose to be offended by it.

What is beyond ridiculous is labeling a mistaken identity tweet as a racial slur. No one that has any reasonable definition of what a racial slur actually is would consider this a slur. It harmed neither man's reputation or any of their accomplishments.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 pm
You must not know any 20-something people who have never seen an MLB game, let alone be able to identify ANY player, regardless of their race. Sure, someone got regrettably reckless on social media. The end.

I know of plenty of people that are not baseball fans that would be guessing who Ted Williams is vs. Carl Yastrzemski.

It's only offensive because you choose to be offended by it.

And you must not know anybody from Boston.
If a congressperson from Massachusettes confused Williams and Yaz, they would be recalled. Why should Pelosi get a free ride?

And FTR, I am not offended. More disappointed and disgusted.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 pm

You're making a giant leap that whomever made that tweet is a SF Giants fan. Or that they are even based in California at all instead of DC where interns are brought in from all over the country. Baseball fans like yourself are the exception, not the rule.

Your disappointment and disgust is on you. No one owes you a fix for that.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm

It is Nancy Pelosi's Twitter feed. The people that elected her come from the district that includes Pac Bell Stadium and Candlestick Park. It is an affront to any Giants fan, which she claimed to be, and magnified by the racial overtones.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Sorry, don't see it. At all.

Or maybe I chose not to be offended or think the worse of someone that most likely made an innocent error on social media in their exuberance of working for a powerful member of the US Senate.

If there had been actual harm done by the tweet, I'd feel differently. I've yet to see any proof there was even a little malicious intent or that either Mr. Mays or the family of Mr. McCovey were harmed in any way by the mix-up.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 pm

Never once have I said "malicious intent". Stupidity...for sure.

As far as harm, our definitions must differ. If I am Willie Mays, undeniably one if the greatest baseball players to ever play the game, I would feel very, very hurt. Called the "N-word" daily while breaking in, he gets to his 90th birthday and still has to deal with the stereotypes and prejudices, by someone who was "honoring" him. "Oops, wrong Willie. But it's an old negro who played for the Giants...easy mistake." No harm. Except for the man's identity.

You can have the last word, I'm done.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Pretty damn pretentious, don't you think, that you have taken it upon yourself to determine how Mays and McCovey's family (should) feel about it?

I've looked and can't find even a single complaint from the "actual victims".

Maybe you should follow their lead instead of Fake Outrage, Inc.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm
Pretty damn pretentious, don't you think, that you have taken it upon yourself to determine how Mays and McCovey's family (should) feel about it?

Can you believe honeynuts feels that way? I mean I would never make the mistake of calling someone the wrong name or anything…

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am
Robert Faygo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 pm

Can you believe honeynuts feels that way? I mean I would never make the mistake of calling someone the wrong name or anything…
Oh wait it’s not honeynuts? My bad.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am

Oh wait it’s not honeynuts? My bad.
How do you know for sure? Have you tasted them?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic