Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holy Late Night Batman

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bryce

Holy Late Night Batman

Post by Bryce » Fri May 07, 2021 5:49 pm

Gutfeld!' beats Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight Show' throughout April

The Fox News program has also scored more viewers than Trevor Noah, Seth Meyers, and James Corden.

Shows just how weak the network offerings have become.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gutfeld-b ... show-april

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Re: Holy Late Night Batman

Post by Rate This » Fri May 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:49 pm

The Fox News program has also scored more viewers than Trevor Noah, Seth Meyers, and James Corden.

So a proper headline would read: “Gutfeld! Debuts in third behind Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel; Jimmy Fallon slides to fourth place in late night ratings war”.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 07, 2021 6:06 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Bryce wrote:

So a proper headline would read: “Gutfeld! Debuts in third behind Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel; Jimmy Fallon slides to fourth place in late night ratings war”.
How often does a cable offering beat any of the big three networks? And even in third, they aren't beating him by that much considering FNC major demographic is in bed sleeping at that time.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:06 pm
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:

How often does a cable offering beat any of the big three networks? And even in third, they aren't beating him by that much considering FNC major demographic is in bed sleeping at that time.
They had a sizable audience there before in that slot. My problem with this whole thing is that Greg Gutfeld simply isn’t funny... he’s mean. And that’s not funny.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:01 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm
.... My problem with this whole thing is that Greg Gutfeld simply isn’t funny... he’s mean. And that’s not funny.
I'm not sure I would consider Fallon and Kimmel and Colbert especially funny. I don't know too much about Gutfeld. But from the way y'all talk, he's got a show on Fox and he "dogs" all things Democrat.

Is it fair to say that in the last few years, Kimmel, Fallon and Colbert monologues are for the most part "dog" all things Republican?

Is Gutfeld meaner to Democrats than Kimmel, Fallon and Colbert are to Republicans?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat May 08, 2021 7:35 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 pm
he’s mean. And that’s not funny.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am

Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:

I don't think the ratings take into account the lack of viewer competition for OTA vs cable. That alone would/should give the broadcast networks a significant advantage over any cable or subscription service.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:

I don't think the ratings take into account the lack of viewer competition for OTA vs cable. That alone would/should give the broadcast networks a significant advantage over any cable or subscription service.
The availability of something if you seek it out is there...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 am

I don't think it's about mean vs funny. It's about connecting with your audience. Johnny Carson's success was rooted in the fact that he understood who his audience was and what they expected him to deliver in terms of entertainment and conversation. Carson understood the value of relatability and the importance of identifying with the viewer in a way that downplayed his own importance. He was able to incorporate this formula when chatting with the biggest celebrities of the time.

Modern late-night hosts seem to have lost touch with the audience. Now it's like watching a private conversation between people whose lifestyles and problems are inconceivable to the average viewer. There's a disconnect that leaves the viewer feeling awkward, like they're at a high-end cocktail party where they don't really belong. Carson's Tonight Show was more like gathering in the living room to unwind, converse and share a few laughs over coffee and doughnuts. Johnny understood the formula, which is why he was (and still is) the undisputed king of late-night TV.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 am
km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:

I'm sure the information is out there, I'm just saying I don't think it's actually reflected in the ratings.

In OTA, you're only competing against a small number of OTA stations available to those who get most of their content OTA but with cable and streaming your competing with pretty much everything out there. Additionally, the overall audience for network shows is all the OTA plus all cable viewers, whereas the cable stations just have their own audience. I don't believe the difference in audience base is factored in either.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 09, 2021 12:54 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:08 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:39 am
km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:

I'm sure the information is out there, I'm just saying I don't think it's actually reflected in the ratings.

In OTA, you're only competing against a small number of OTA stations available to those who get most of their content OTA but with cable and streaming your competing with pretty much everything out there. Additionally, the overall audience for network shows is all the OTA plus all cable viewers, whereas the cable stations just have their own audience. I don't believe the difference in audience base is factored in either.
My point was that it’s actually OTA plus cable plus streaming... cable is just that plus streaming. I’m also thinking that they put the late night shows on their websites the day after for on demand viewing.

My question remains... what sort of folks think the guy is funny? It’s not even the content... it’s the delivery too... he’s got terrible timing and execution of the material. Listening to him on The Five talk about issues in a serious way it’s clear he’s not really all that funny of a guy...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:54 am
My point was that it’s actually OTA plus cable plus streaming... cable is just that plus streaming. I’m also thinking that they put the late night shows on their websites the day after for on demand viewing.

My question remains... what sort of folks think the guy is funny? It’s not even the content... it’s the delivery too... he’s got terrible timing and execution of the material. Listening to him on The Five talk about issues in a serious way it’s clear he’s not really all that funny of a guy...
My point was that the ratings are a bit skewed in favor of the OTA content. On an apples-to-apples comparison, the Gutfield show probably raises even higher in the ratings.

However, to the second paragraph, I have no idea if his show should be higher in the ratings. I haven't seen his new show and haven't seen him too much on any of the various shows he's been on, but could certainly see how folks would find him funny. I could also see how folks could tire of him as well. I no longer see Colbert as funny, nor Kimmel most of the time. Hard to stomach either one of those guys for an entire clip, much less an entire show.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Rate This wrote:
Is Gutfeld supposed to be funny because he happens to be on at the same time as Kimmel and Fallon and Colbert?

I myself don't recall Nightline being funny when it came on at the same time as Leno and Letterman?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 09, 2021 9:46 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Rate This wrote:
Is Gutfeld supposed to be funny because he happens to be on at the same time as Kimmel and Fallon and Colbert?

I myself don't recall Nightline being funny when it came on at the same time as Leno and Letterman?
It’s a comedy show… it’s not a newsmagazine. The idea is to directly compete with Fallon and Kimmel and Colbert…

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic