Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prison Chaplains Unionize

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Prison Chaplains Unionize

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 pm

Federal Prison Chaplains have successfully organized a Union and bargained their first collective agreement.
Federal Prison Chaplains Improve Working Conditions, Ratify First Union Contract

TORONTO – Unionized chaplains in Canadian federal prisons have achieved a first collective agreement with their employer, voting 98% in favour of a contract aimed at improving working conditions and spiritual care to thousands of inmates.

The contract between the chaplains – members of the United Steelworkers union (USW) – and Bridges of Canada includes a new wage grid providing significant increases for most employees. Overall, wages will rise by 9% over the next year, with the average chaplain earning an increase of $3.30 per hour.

The collective agreement also addresses several other workplace issues, including codifying employer practices around expenses, employment status, seniority, promotions and job security.

“Chaplains demonstrated tremendous commitment and solidarity to achieve a first contract that exceeds wage-settlement norms in the federal sector and improves working conditions,” said USW National Director Ken Neumann.

“Through this lengthy and challenging process, chaplains have made great strides in reinvigorating and re-establishing chaplaincy as the vocation it was meant to be. This agreement recognizes the important contributions chaplains make to ensure a more humane and just correctional system,” Neumann said.

Federal prison chaplains from various faiths and spiritual practices joined the USW in 2018. The chaplains are employed by Bridges of Canada, a subsidiary of U.S.-based Bridges International, as a result of the federal government’s tendering of prison chaplaincy services to the private sector.

The union began contract negotiations with Bridges of Canada in February 2020. Last March, all federal chaplains were laid off in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, forcing many to turn to government assistance programs. Chaplains had not seen improvements to wages and working conditions since 2016.

“During the pandemic, chaplains organized themselves to secure a collective agreement and to lead an effective campaign to compel Correctional Service Canada (CSC) to reinstate chaplaincy services in federal prisons,” said Steven Hadden, president of USW Local 1976, which represents the chaplains.

“Our union will continue to press CSC and the federal government to fully recognize the important contribution chaplains make to the rehabilitative model and to ensure the viability of chaplaincy into the future,” Hadden said.

The unionization efforts of Canada’s federal prison chaplains began with a group of chaplains in British Columbia who were supported by activists from B.C.-based USW Local 2009. While the prison chaplains across the country are members of USW Local 1976, their local has established an agreement through which USW Local 2009 will provide the day-to-day servicing needs of chaplains in Western Canada.

https://www.usw.ca/news/media-centre/re ... ontract%20

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Re: Prison Chaplains Unionize

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm

Would a former prison chaplain care to comment?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 pm
Would a former prison chaplain care to comment?
Do we have any former Prison Chaplains on this board?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 pm

I had to attend a meeting in Toronto. It was in one of the big hotels downtown. These hotels always have several meeting rooms and each morning they post a directory in the lobby, identifying which groups are meeting in which rooms.

I got off the elevator at the lobby and started walking toward the directory. The concierge spotted me and said "Your meeting is in the Tamarack Room up on the mezzanine level. I took the escalator to the mezzanine level wondering how he had recognized me.

I found the Tamarack Room. Several men were milling around outside the room chatting and drinking cups of coffee. Strangely. I didn't recognize any of them.. Their group was named on an easel at the entry to the room. "Pastors for Prisoners." Clearly, this wasn't my meeting. Somehow, the Concierge had mistaken me for either a Pastor or a prisoner.

Back to the lobby to check where I was really meeting. On my way down the escalator, I passed guys from my own group going up the other escalator. As soon as I got to the bottom I got on the other escalator and followed my group to the Birch Room.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic