Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bravo, Alabama Amazon workers!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Bravo, Alabama Amazon workers!

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Nearly 1800 people in Alabama voted against higher wages. Sounds about right.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:39 pm

I'll tell my story again.

Both my wife and I were born into and grew up in desperate poverty. Indeed, the first few years of our life together, we lived in poverty. My first real break came when I got a job in a Union shop, with decent wages, benefits and something called a Pension Plan.

Today, we're retired. We aren't wealthy, but we live in modest comfort. No working person should accept anything less.

I don't regret a nickel of the Union dues I paid over my life.

I recovered every bitl of it in pension benefits in the first six months of my retirement.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:39 pm
I'll tell my story again.

Both my wife and I were born into and grew up in desperate poverty. Indeed, the first few years of our life together, we lived in poverty. My first real break was getting a job in a Union shop, withe decent wages, benefits and something called a Pension Plan.

Today, we're retired. We aren't wealthy, but we live in modest comfort. No working person should accept anything less.

I don't regret a nickel of the Union dues I paid over my life.

I recovered all of it in pension benefits in the first six months of my retirement.
The unions aren't what they were before as far as power, but stats continually show that right to work states earn less. That's why the real welfare kings and queens are in the southeast.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:18 am

In my opinion, unions have been shooting themselves in the foot by fighting tooth and nail to get the f-ups their job back.

Some clown keeps messing up on the job time and time again. Comes in drunk for the sixth time. Is late or calls off at least one every couple of weeks.

95 percent of union workers are hard working conscientious folks who want to do the job right. You get my drift. After a few f-ups, agree with the company that this person really should be let go.

Bending over backwards for the habitual f-ups is also detrimental to what others in the shop think of the union. Represented workers see Frita get her job back AGAIN and ponder "Why put any effort in this job?".

kager

Post by kager » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:37 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 pm
Nearly 1800 people in Alabama voted against higher wages. Sounds about right.
The usual hyperbole.

Tears for a bygone era.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:10 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:18 am
In my opinion, unions have been shooting themselves in the foot by fighting tooth and nail to get the f-ups their job back.

Some clown keeps messing up on the job time and time again. Comes in drunk for the sixth time. Is late or calls off at least one every couple of weeks.

95 percent of union workers are hard working conscientious folks who want to do the job right. You get my drift. After a few f-ups, agree with the company that this person really should be let go.

Bending over backwards for the habitual f-ups is also detrimental to what others in the shop think of the union. Represented workers see Frita get her job back AGAIN and ponder "Why put any effort in this job?".

I'm sure US Labour Law has a similar provision to what our law in Ontario requires. It say the Union has a legal obligation to give evry member the best representation possible. Members can and do bring charges against their Union if they believe they weren't fairly represented.

In the US right to work states. this duty to represent extends even to employees who have elected not to join The Union or pay dues.

The Union can't force an Employer to reinstate any employee. Only an Arbitrator can do that.

In any arbitration case involving discipline or discharge the burden of proof is with the employer. When an employer loses in arbitration, it is usually because they fired the person without cause or they have just been sloppy in making their case

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:21 am

Some unions are good, like Unifor in Canada. I did research before buying my car as it is made in Brampton, others, like the Culinary Union in Las Vegas, of which I was a member, are not good. I had to join to be a valet for conventions, was a side gig that for three or four days work I could pocket between 600 and a thousand dollars plus tips. I had no issue with it until I started talking to longtime members when we would be sitting in the helps hall on break. Seems I had to report tips at the end of shift to the shop steward on duty who would then hold out their hand for the union cut. They were the only union in the city who demanded a portion of tips made.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 pm

A union might have some benefits, but also many disadvantages. All the companies I've worked for the disadvantages outweighed any possible benefits.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:11 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 pm
A union might have some benefits, but also many disadvantages. All the companies I've worked for the disadvantages outweighed any possible benefits.
Of course, workers with rights and dignity are a disadvantage to Companies. They hate it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am

Bidengirl wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 am
Less than 11% of American workers are in a union. If it was so great, why don't more people do it? It's because unions are nothing more than fronts for the Democratic Party.

So how does the remaining 89% make it without belonging to a union? They do just fine.
Are you supposing that if you sit on your hands well enough you won’t get tossed off here yet again?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Bidengirl wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 am
Bidengirl wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 am
Less than 11% of American workers are in a union. If it was so great, why don't more people do it? It's because unions are nothing more than fronts for the Democratic Party.

So how does the remaining 89% make it without belonging to a union? They do just fine.
Are you supposing that if you sit on your hands well enough you won’t get tossed off here yet again?
Let's try to stay on topic.

If there's so much benefit to belonging to a union, why doesn't everyone join one?
Because it’s not that simple.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 pm

The Republican Party has effectively strangled unions through years of propaganda that have been on display in this thread.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am

Bidengirl wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 am
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 pm
The Republican Party has effectively strangled unions through years of propaganda that have been on display in this thread.
Seriously, have you ever been in a union? I have, and it's no picnic.

I wonder if the Democratic Party wants only employees of the specific workforce to vote whether to certify a union since requiring only workers of that unit to vote would be "voter suppression."

:rollin
It’s perfectly fine. But you’d be negative about any subject just to rile us up. How many times you gonna bother us anyways?

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:35 pm

I think the scandals with the Teamsters and UAW have done more to hurt unions than any political party. My uncle was a member of the United Mine Workers and that union saved so many miners from horrible wages and conditions but they also had their dark side, as all organizations do, but I will never have an issue with them. Amazon and Tesla both need unions in there to take care of the employees.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Bidengirl wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
Bidengirl wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 am
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 pm
Seriously, have you ever been in a union? I have, and it's no picnic.

I wonder if the Democratic Party wants only employees of the specific workforce to vote whether to certify a union since requiring only workers of that unit to vote would be "voter suppression."

:rollin
It’s perfectly fine. But you’d be negative about any subject just to rile us up. How many times you gonna bother us anyways?
If my intelligence "riles" you, so be it.
And you’ve branched out into comedy?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic