Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Treasure Hunting

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Treasure Hunting

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Back in the 80s and 90s it was common to see guys out on the beach etc, with their metal detectors, looking for lost coins or jewelry. Not so much any more.

Is it still a thing? I'm now at a point in my life now, where I would have time to pursue the hobby and unlike years ago, I could now afford the equipment,

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Re: Treasure Hunting

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm
Back in the 80s and 90s it was common to see guys out on the beach etc, with their metal detectors, looking for lost coins or jewelry. Not so much any more.

Is it still a thing? I'm now at a point in my life now, where I would have time to pursue the hobby and unlike years ago, I could now afford the equipment,
I could be wrong but I have the feeling folks started cracking down on those that were digging random holes to find “treasure” which I’m sure included utility lines and other goodies you probably should smack with a shovel.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:39 am

Yes, a friend of my dad still uses his metal detector on weekends during the summer.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:06 am

One of my good friends combines his hobbies of scuba and metal detecting and spends all summer finding lost stuff. Some is on purpose, like finding a phone or sunglasses that someone dropped in the drink, but mostly he just goes out looking to see what he can find. He has run across all kinds of stuff and even found and returned some long-lost precious rings to their original owners. He makes enough coin to support both hobbies with some left over.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:59 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm

If you're going to get into that, forgo the beaches and head out to the old farms. Folks I know that are into that sort of thing say they do good where barns and houses once stood.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:17 pm

I just ran across somebody doing that last week, underneath a chair lift at the ski area.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:34 pm

I'm thinking the parking lots at the malls ought to be rich where the snowbanks were.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Ancient coins found in Rhode Island may solve mystery of murderous 1600s pirate

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/an ... s-n1262823

Amateur historian Jim Bailey uses a metal detector to scan for Colonial-era artifacts in a field on March 11, 2021,
in Warwick, R.I.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 pm

One time when my wife was a teacher a student at the school lost the 'outside' part of his cochlear implant. Of course the 6 year old didn't notice it fast enough to stop drop and feel around in the wood chips of the recess yard. After hours of all the adults searching the father shows up with his neighbors metal detector. As the sun set the $$$ item was found in short order.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic