Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Any Robins Yet?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Any Robins Yet?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Robins are the worst when there are plenty of earthworms or berries to be had!

Those little rascals do shit on everything.

I have an ornamental tree next to my patio in the back yard that sprouts small berries by the hundreds that ripen each May. The robins swarm that tree, eat the berries, and then shit them out 60 seconds later.

I resorted to putting out a fake owl last year. That definitely helped. Reduced the number of robins by 75 percent.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Robins are looking scruffy this year. Feathers rumpled and jutting out. Look like they've been in a fight.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 pm

It’s hard for them to get their masks on and off.
Ruffles their feathers.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 pm

Has anyone else noticed there are no longer any robins around? It's been weeks since I've seen or heard any. They can't have flown south already.

I've been thinking maybe, this summer was so hot they flew further north to escape the heat. Might stop off here for a day or two on their southward trek.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 pm
Has anyone else noticed there are no longer any robins around? It's been weeks since I've seen or heard any. They can't have flown south already.

I've been thinking maybe, this summer was so hot they flew further north to escape the heat. Might stop off here for a day or two on their southward trek.
I left out a little later than usual today. At least a dozen on my front lawn this morning.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:30 pm

The starlings and sparrows are currently holding sway around here (southern Macomb County) with a spattering of blue jays and cardinals and nary a robin to be seen.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:23 pm

I was speaking with my sister who lives up in one of Ontario's northern Lake Huron counties. She said there are none around up there either.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Plenty up in the NW corner of da Mitt in the past 10 days... but the week or two prior there seemed to be very few. Flickers and jay may have been bullying them away, but robins are here in bunches now. Maybe they were going for reinforcements...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:04 pm

I'm thinking it was the hot weather this summer. Now that temperatures have moderated, they'll probably be returning down this way too.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 am

They're back. I saw two in the yard this morning. They must have gone off to where the weather was cooler or where food was more plentiful.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 pm

2 in my birdbath today bathing. It got down in the lower 40's so maybe they are getting cleaned up for their upcoming trip South.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:58 pm

Didn't see any around today. The ones I saw yesterday must have just stopped off here along their way south.

Maybe they have a guide book that tells them where they can stop to eat and use the bird bath.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:28 pm

There are several frames and fenders in my farm cats chop shop right now. I can probably build you a couple.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic