Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hoarding or Shortage?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
HD74

Hoarding or Shortage?

Post by HD74 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Just wondering how many have noticed some of these.
Back at the beginning of the pandemic, toilet paper was suddenly better than gold. (although smellier)
Now there is a bizarre lack of cat food and cat litter in my area.
Chili seasoning packets have gone MIA. (maybe that's to use up the stored TP?)
Distilled water is hard to find.
What are they doing with it all, and why are they hoarding it?

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Turkeytop

Re: Hoarding or Shortage?

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:01 pm

None of those products are things that I buy, so I wouldn't notice.

One thing that is becoming scarce is pay phones.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:01 pm
One thing that is becoming scarce is pay phones.
There's a funeral home Downriver with a payphone. Can't remember which one. They told me it still works.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm

HD74 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Back at the beginning of the pandemic, toilet paper was suddenly better than gold. (although smellier)
A lot of production shortages sometimes due to an outbreak in a plant. Also the initial lockdowns created such a rush that catching up has never been 100% done. The Kroger by me a couple nights ago had 2 trays of ramen bricks in the entire section. There were lots of other complete holes. It practically got ransacked and never recovered.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:59 pm

HD74 wrote:
One that you overlooked that is in VERY short supply is ammunition. Many calibers are impossible to find at retailers and what you can find is at greatly increased prices.

If you aren't in tight with the people that supply LEO's or do your own reloads, you just ain't gonna find good 9 mm ammo besides FMJ at this time.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:59 pm
HD74 wrote:
One that you overlooked that is in VERY short supply is ammunition. Many calibers are impossible to find at retailers and what you can find is at greatly increased prices.

If you aren't in tight with the people that supply LEO's or do your own reloads, you just ain't gonna find good 9 mm ammo besides FMJ at this time.
“YOUR GUNS WILL BE TAKEN AWAY SOON!!!!!!!!!! YOUR LOCAL DEALER IS READY TO SELL SELL SELL!!!!! COME ON DOWN AND GET SOME BEFORE THESE DEALS ARE GONE FOREVERRRRRRR......”

The fine print says “Guess what? We are turning small ideas from Democrats into giant 5 alarm fire sirens to sell more guns. But what they don’t realize won’t hurt them no matter how many Democrats come in and out of office and it never happens.”

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm

I smell a government conspiracy.

Many things are made in China and supply chain from China has been erratic. There is a reason why so many food companies fought to keep country-of-origin labels off their products.

There were also trade challenges with Mexico.

The toilet paper issue from what I read had more to do with office workers shifting to working at home. Toilet paper gets to an office building in a box of 200 rolls. You can't just switch from commercial to Consumer packaging very quickly. When the TP crisis existed, I ordered a commercial box of toilet paper still got about 60 rolls left. I hadn't planned on being a hoarder but supply chain forced me to be one.

I was very popular with my friends as I generously shared my toilet paper with anyone in need.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:45 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm
“YOUR GUNS WILL BE TAKEN AWAY SOON!!!!!!!!!! YOUR LOCAL DEALER IS READY TO SELL SELL SELL!!!!! COME ON DOWN AND GET SOME BEFORE THESE DEALS ARE GONE FOREVERRRRRRR......”

The fine print says “Guess what? We are turning small ideas from Democrats into giant 5 alarm fire sirens to sell more guns. But what they don’t realize won’t hurt them no matter how many Democrats come in and out of office and it never happens.”
The record sales of firearms and ammo isn't the result of clever marketing and scare tactics by dealers and manufacturers any more than the toilet paper shortage was.

Personally, I think the current sales rate has much more to do with emerging attitudes toward policing policy and attempts to neuter their effectiveness than any proposed gun grab legislation. Many Americans are coming to the conclusion that they may be responsible for their own protection in the future.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:45 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm

The record sales of firearms and ammo isn't the result of clever marketing and scare tactics by dealers and manufacturers any more than the toilet paper shortage was.

Personally, I think the current sales rate has much more to do with emerging attitudes toward policing policy and attempts to neuter their effectiveness than any proposed gun grab legislation. Many Americans are coming to the conclusion that they may be responsible for their own protection in the future.
Gun sales were at record highs during the Obama years as well. That’s before any emerging attitudes toward policing. Even in the 90’s gun sales weren’t exactly tepid.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 am

Haven't has an issue with any of the listed items being in short supply. TP is back to normal but paper towels are still not back to normal levels.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 am

The Paper towel shortage has been directly related to the fact that we cook more. I think this is all fascinating stuff.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Paper towel prices have gotten insane.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:50 pm

I know it's a little thing. We've been having trouble finding hydrogen peroxide in the stores we shop at around Westland and Plymouth. Spent last weekend by White Cloud. Went in a store looking for eyeglass cleaner. Found plenty of hydrogen peroxide.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:51 pm

You can use hydrogen peroxide as rocket fuel, maybe someones headed to the moon to get away from Covid?
I didn't realize 9mm was in short supply, I have the Hornady gear and reload my own 45acp and .308.
I did notice a significant increase in paper towel pricing.
Meat is also sharply increasing.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm

Well at least bacon is back to normal. Quite a scare a few months ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic