Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Keeping the price of gas low

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14896

Re: Keeping the price of gas low

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:33 am

kc8yqq wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:10 am
I think Red Green can help here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLd6174bz2k
He should of made that toilet flush with the hood.
If it was me, I'd take that car to the dump. Guess it would do good in a pinch.
Or use it to drop a load somewhere.

Find the Red Green episode where he connects two K-cars together. One of my favorites.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:33 am
Find the Red Green episode where he connects two K-cars together. One of my favorites.
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-JhnIcZ6UQ

My favorite is making ice cream (starts at 7:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9KixzsLLJw

kager

Post by kager » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm

4 weeks since the start of this thread; take a look at gas prices (even before this week's record cold in the south).

As predicted.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm

kager wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm
4 weeks since the start of this thread; take a look at gas prices (even before this week's record cold in the south).

As predicted.
Demand is rebounding. It’s really that simple. No actions have been taken that would cause an immediate price spike. None.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm

Even the slightest reduction in gas consumption will make the price of gas fall.
Not necessarily. If OPEC decides to curtail production in response and/or North American producers decide to curtail production in response, those decisions can potentially more than offset any reduction in consumer demand.

A key determinant in determining the price is petroleum inventories. Another key determinant is refinery capacity.
Everyone just doing the speed limit would make the price of gas fall.
See my prior remarks above.
This person (don't know if it was a guy or a gal) says even a slight drop in consumption will cause a big backup in the supply chain. Freighters would be sitting full waiting to unload. Refineries would have nowhere to put the product because their tanks aren't getting emptied. Excess capacity would make the price drop.
Temporarily - yes, these things could happen. Ultimately, such circumstances would lead to a sharp reduction in the crude oil price (the "upstream" part of the supply chain), which would lead to temporary well shut-ins, which would lead to less crude oil making its way to the refinery. Over time, inventory levels would reset and prices would return to "normal."

Remember, what we saw last March and April was a cataclysmic drop in demand: say a 30%+ reduction compared to just 60 days' earlier. That is what caused prices to crash. That type of demand destruction is unprecedented in modern history. That's why tankers in the Gulf and just about everywhere else were being filled to the brim with petroleum products as were rail cars. There were no buyers for that stuff.

When the WTI spot contract fell into negative territory for a time in April, that was the signal oil producers needed to send their rig crews home and to turn off a large number of well heads.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm
Even the slightest reduction in gas consumption will make the price of gas fall.
Not necessarily. If OPEC decides to curtail production in response and/or North American producers decide to curtail production in response, those decisions can potentially more than offset any reduction in consumer demand.

A key determinant in determining the price is petroleum inventories. Another key determinant is refinery capacity.
This person (don't know if it was a guy or a gal) says even a slight drop in consumption will cause a big backup in the supply chain. Freighters would be sitting full waiting to unload. Refineries would have nowhere to put the product because their tanks aren't getting emptied. Excess capacity would make the price drop.
Temporarily - yes, these things could happen. Ultimately, such circumstances would lead to a sharp reduction in the crude oil price (the "upstream" part of the supply chain), which would lead to temporary well shut-ins, which would lead to less crude oil making its way to the refinery. Over time, inventory levels would reset and prices would return to "normal."

Remember, what we saw last March and April was a cataclysmic drop in demand: say a 30%+ reduction compared to just 60 days' earlier. That is what caused prices to crash. That type of demand destruction is unprecedented in modern history. That's why tankers in the Gulf and just about everywhere else were being filled to the brim with petroleum products as were rail cars. There were no buyers for that stuff.

When the WTI spot contract fell into negative territory for a time in April, that was the signal oil producers needed to send their rig crews home and to turn off a large number of well heads.
And the flip side is demand is now beginning to outstrip supply and prices are going up... is that right?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 pm

And the flip side is demand is now beginning to outstrip supply and prices are going up... is that right?
I will answer that it is correct.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 am

That's not the whole story. Refinery capacity in the south has been constrained due to weather and pipeline transmittal capacity has also been constrained.

The Saudis just announced they are bumping oil production back up to 11 million barrels per day, a 1 million bpd increase, so that should help temper the recent rise in prices to a degree.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/jpmorga ... arrel.html

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:18 am

The Saudis don't want to see the Texas oil industry rebound completely. I was talking to my friend in Snyder Texas, he told me his plant still isn't to 50% capacity.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm
No and he had as much to do with the low gas prices last year as Biden does with them rising. That’s nothing for those of you keeping score at home.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm

If you're suggesting Trump is responsible for low gas prices, I wish you'd let Texas know. They basically are in love with their enemy.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kager

Post by kager » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am

If you're suggesting Trump is responsible for low gas prices, I [blah blah blah]
It was just coincidence that fuel prices were low during the previous administration.

It's just coincidence that fuel prices are way up and continue in that direction during Obiden's administration.

You cannot blame those who don't know what they're doing for predictable fluctuations in the price of fuel.

It's all just a coincidental pattern.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am

kager wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am
If you're suggesting Trump is responsible for low gas prices, I [blah blah blah]
It was just coincidence that fuel prices were low during the previous administration.

It's just coincidence that fuel prices are way up and continue in that direction during Obiden's administration.

You cannot blame those who don't know what they're doing for predictable fluctuations in the price of fuel.

It's all just a coincidental pattern.
You don't think Biden's anti oil stance, policy changes, shutting down Keystone XL and restrictions on drilling on federal land have had any effect on oil prices?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Liquor coming soon. Soon, it will be less expensive than gas!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic