Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Speedway gas stations going bye bye

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Re: Speedway gas stations going bye bye

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:34 am

Since when have corporate egos tempered themselves when it comes to making sound brand decisions?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 am

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 am
But you wouldn't get your Speedy Rewards. :8)

I can tell you unequivocally that my local Speedway gets a ton more traffic than the 7-Eleven (no gas) with lines often extending to the door during morning and afternoon rush hours. I can't see the latter keeping the 7-Eleven name if the former takes it; it would be abject cannibalism.

I still maintain the Speedway brand has great cachet and it would be foolish to abandon it.
I agree 100 percent. The Speedway by me is the same way. Lines down the aisle. But if all I'm getting is a coffee and a pack of Hostess Crunch Donettes, I'll go somewhere elsewhere along the way.

Speaking of gas stations, it sounds like your Speedway is as busy as the one near me. When you do run in there and don't get gas, do you still park at a pump? I do. It just seems so much easier to drive forward to leave, as opposed to parking in front of the store, and then trying to see what's behind me as I back out to leave.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 am
Speaking of gas stations, it sounds like your Speedway is as busy as the one near me. When you do run in there and don't get gas, do you still park at a pump? I do. It just seems so much easier to drive forward to leave, as opposed to parking in front of the store, and then trying to see what's behind me as I back out to leave.
:lol No, I park in front and am very careful backing out, even with the rear camera. I'd feel kinda guilty hogging a pump spot for no reason, but that's just me.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 pm

I pay for my gas inside(too many card skimmers out there) and pump, then go. Lingering around a gas station is the last thing I want to do right now.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm

I get my gas at Pioneer.Drive up to the pump, get out of the car, pump my gas, then go inside and pay.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:24 pm
I get my gas at Pioneer.Drive up to the pump, get out of the car, pump my gas, then go inside and pay.
How quaint.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm

I probably haven't been able to pay after pumping in 20 years. In 2000 when there was the first big spike in gas prices in a long time stations even in good areas started having problems with drive offs after filling up and most became pay inside first or pay at the pump.

at least around Toledo, Speedway has a better brand reputation than 7-11. Speedway mostly has nice stations in decent areas, 7-11s are mostly in the hood.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm

When I'm traveling to Florida, I make one last stop in Windsor to top up the tank. That way I put off the hassle and the indignity of pre-pay until day two of the trip.

Coming home, I arrange it that I'm pretty much coasting down the Ambassador Bridge on empty. Then I can fill up in a town where nobody knows me, but everybody trusts me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:10 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm
I probably haven't been able to pay after pumping in 20 years. In 2000 when there was the first big spike in gas prices in a long time stations even in good areas started having problems with drive offs after filling up and most became pay inside first or pay at the pump.

at least around Toledo, Speedway has a better brand reputation than 7-11. Speedway mostly has nice stations in decent areas, 7-11s are mostly in the hood.
Thing is that TT being from Canada means high prices are a part of life. They don’t know any better so drive offs aren’t an issue.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:19 pm

I would gladly pay Canadian prices all the way to Florida back to avoid the inconvenience of pre-pay and to avoid the humiliation of being treated like a thief.

Canadians are no more or less honest than our American neighbours. If an honour system works here, it would work too n the U.S.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:19 pm
I would gladly pay Canadian prices all the way to Florida back to avoid the inconvenience of pre-pay and to avoid the humiliation of being treated like a thief.

Canadians are no more or less honest than our American neighbours. If an honour system works here, it would work too n the U.S.
No it wouldn’t. The folks in poor and rural areas that are down on their luck would be out of their so fast it would blow your feathers off.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

No it wouldn’t. The folks in poor and rural areas that are down on their luck would be out of their so fast it would blow your feathers off.
We have poverty here too. I experienced it for much of my life. And higher prices might incentivize drive offs. But it rarely happens. I never once even considered doing it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

We have poverty here too. I experienced it for much of my life. And higher prices might incentivize drive offs. But it rarely happens. I never once even considered doing it.
It became so common here that they started making people pay first. You may have never considered it but it became a regular occurrence to the point station owners finally said enough is enough.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am

The station where I shop has one set of pumps where they allow pre-pay. It must be for the benefit of travelers from the US who prefer that system. To avoid inconveniencing the Canadian customers, they only allow it between midnight and
6:00 AM.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:07 am
The station where I shop has one set of pumps where they allow pre-pay. It must be for the benefit of travelers from the US who prefer that system. To avoid inconveniencing the Canadian customers, they only allow it between midnight and
6:00 AM.
It’s a start.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic