Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Education Or Indoctronation?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bryce

Education Or Indoctronation?

Post by Bryce » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:22 pm

My daughter is in her third year at Wayne State. No student loans, no financial help. Her mother and I are paying as she goes so she wont be saddled with student debt.

There are a number of prerequisite classes she is required to take and she selected Black Social and Political Thought from a number of choices that would fill a prerequisite needed to graduate.

This class, taught by Dr. Eboe Hutchful, relies heavily on the writings of William Manning Marable and Leith Mullings. I happened to listen to one of my daughters on line lectures (for which I'm paying full price) and Dr. Hutchful was expressing his views on how wonderful the BLM movement was. After the lecture ended, I pretty much asked my daughter, "What the hell was that lecture about and why am I paying for it?' She told me it was a class she was required to take and thought it might be interesting.

Later that day, she came to me with this text from Dr. Hutchful and asked what exactly I thought it meant.

Now, I'm not an expert on "edu-speak", but reading and re reading the text from the good Dr., it would seem to me that he expects not only everyone understand what the two writers are saying, but to agree with them too. Any dissent or challenge to their message will result in a failing grade.

She Dropped the class yesterday. Now she will have to make up a class over the summer.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Re: Education Or Indoctronation?

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 pm

I wouldn't NECESSARILY take issue with a course like this so long as the professor makes clear on day 1 that he is a policy advocate (I found that info on his profile page) and so long as he discloses his political affiliation and the various groups he has been a member of/supported through his career (the list looks pretty extensive). I suspect though that no such disclosures will take place.

Bryce

Re: Education Or Indoctronation?

Post by Bryce » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:46 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:14 pm
I suspect though that no such disclosures will take place.
It wasn't. But even if it were, is it right that a professor can not only make you learn and understand the subject matter but agree with it too? Sounds kind of like the mindset people protested against in the '60's.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic