Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Credit score

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14896

Credit score

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 am

Some of you appear to knowledgeable in things so I want to throw this question out.

My wife has a family member that used to live out of state. They moved up here and stayed in a campground for the summer, and bought a house in the fall. During the time they were in the campground, they had their mail coming to our place. Which was fine. Once they bought their own place, their mail started going there ....

.... Except bills. It's becoming evident they are using our address to play hide and go seek with the people they owe money to. We don't open the mail, we put it in a bag and they either pick it up when they come by here, or we drop it off when we go by there. But it's obvious they are bills. I googled the last return address and it was a collection agency.

So I was just wondering if anyone would know:
Can their bills coming to my house mess up MY credit score?
We have no financial connections to them, never co-signed, never put anything of theirs in our name, nothing like that.
If's it's not going to affect my credit, I don't care how long they come here.

Turkeytop

Re: Credit score

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:53 am

In Canada, we have a postal code, similar to your zip code. I friend was living in an apartment building where everyone in the building had the same postal code. His credit was adversely effected because someone at that postal code didn't pay their bills.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:15 am

As long as you are not a co-signer or the main person on any of their obligations it should not affect your credit. The worst that should happen is collection notices, court notices if it comes to that, will come to your address...You do have a choice in the matter. If you don't want them coming to your house, you can write not at this address on them and give them back to the post office or stop by the post office and fill out the paperwork, should take five minutes or less, to have them quit delivering them to you. I asked one of my children who works in banking, the advice is hers not mine.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:56 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 am
Some of you appear to knowledgeable in things so I want to throw this question out.

My wife has a family member that used to live out of state. They moved up here and stayed in a campground for the summer, and bought a house in the fall. During the time they were in the campground, they had their mail coming to our place. Which was fine. Once they bought their own place, their mail started going there ....

.... Except bills. It's becoming evident they are using our address to play hide and go seek with the people they owe money to. We don't open the mail, we put it in a bag and they either pick it up when they come by here, or we drop it off when we go by there. But it's obvious they are bills. I googled the last return address and it was a collection agency.

So I was just wondering if anyone would know:
We have no financial connections to them, never co-signed, never put anything of theirs in our name, nothing like that.
If's it's not going to affect my credit, I don't care how long they come here.
The three major credit reporting agencies, Transunion, Experian and Equifax, sponsor https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action, a website where you can get free copies of your credit reports. I generally get one report every four months from a different agency so I can have a "rolling" look at things. If you're concerned about what might be on your credit reports, here's where to find out what they say.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:25 am

No, unless they frauduently used your identity. I agree with Vic; order credit reports on yourself (for free) from each of the three reporting agencies.

Collection agencies may be able to cross-reference phone numbers and mailing addresses. If you have a landline, don't be surprised if you start receiving phone calls from collection agencies!

ZZand's advice is very good. I would definitely suggest going to the post office and filling out paperwork to cease delivery of their mail to your house.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic