Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

To PC Or Not To PC

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bryce

To PC Or Not To PC

Post by Bryce » Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm

That is the question...

The answer is that we've went WAY to far.

Jimmy Fallon, host of The Tonight Show, has been called out and forced to issue an apology for a skit he did in 2000 on Saturday Night Live in which he did a Chris Rock impersonation.
“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface. There is no excuse for this,” Fallon wrote on Twitter. “I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”
Umm, isn't it pretty hard for a white comedic actor to impersonate a black person without wearing make-up? Does doing so really make one racist? Who are the people that think this way? And since when did we have a "right' not to be offended by comedy?

Was Eddie Murphy a racist when he donned make-up for the "White Like Me" skit on Saturday Night Live?

Was he even more racist for portraying an impressive Jewish man in the movie Coming To America?

Or...
How about when he did a Chinese man in the movie Norbit?

Sorry, but it's getting a little out of hand.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Re: To PC Or Not To PC

Post by Rate This » Wed May 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm
That is the question...

The answer is that we've went WAY to far.

Jimmy Fallon, host of The Tonight Show, has been called out and forced to issue an apology for a skit he did in 2000 on Saturday Night Live in which he did a Chris Rock impersonation.
“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface. There is no excuse for this,” Fallon wrote on Twitter. “I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”
Umm, isn't it pretty hard for a white comedic actor to impersonate a black person without wearing make-up? Does doing so really make one racist? Who are the people that think this way? And since when did we have a "right' not to be offended by comedy?

Was Eddie Murphy a racist when he donned make-up for the "White Like Me" skit on Saturday Night Live?

Was he even more racist for portraying an impressive Jewish man in the movie Coming To America?

Or...
How about when he did a Chinese man in the movie Norbit?

Sorry, but it's getting a little out of hand.
The Twitter mob strikes again, those folks can go to hell...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Here's the thing about Twitter. And I heard Bill Maher allude to this when he was interviewing Tulsi Gabbard.
Outside of the media, the entertainment industry and the politicians, not that many folks use Twitter.
Yeah, we hear all about every tweet because for the media, it's their lifeblood. And unfortunately, those in "Twitter World" don't quite understand that, for the vast majority of Americans, we really don't care what they are talking about on Twitter.

What if Fallon would of just shrugged off the social media critiquing? Or better yet totally ignored it.
Without a doubt, most of his viewers would of said "Who cares anyway?".

I apologize for veering a bit into politics. But I want to use it as an example of what I'm saying above.
If the media didn't regurgitate every tweet of someone they totally despise, who would know what he tweeted?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 am

I have a Twitter account but never tweet, I don't follow anybody but friends and most of them don't tweet.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Jamie Foxx, a voice of reason.
“He was doing an impression of chris rock. It wasn’t black face. We comedians I know it’s a tough time right now. But this one is a stretch,” he wrote. “On a show called in living color we played every race Let this one go. We got bigger fish to fry ... #changecourse.”
I guess he might be afraid that blind people could get pissed that a guy that could see played Ray Charles. That scenario is no less absurd.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 am
I have a Twitter account but never tweet, I don't follow anybody but friends and most of them don't tweet.
Same here. I logged in recently for the first time in probably five years, just to read an account that was recommended to me. I never post. My Facebook account has been inactive for a year and a half, although I may fire it back up just because Garry Meier is now doing his podcast live on FB every Friday. I don't do much in the way of social media, not so much because of controversy, but it just doesn't interest me like it used to.

That being said, I've been test-driving a platform called Plurk. Structured like Twitter, but more benign and conversational. So far it seems pretty good.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic