Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unconnected

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Rate This

Re: Unconnected

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:30 pm
You don’t use a microwave? Please expound on why...
Why would I? I've got along without it all these years. Don't need it.

They cant be good for you. I'm not suggesting they're harmful. But there is no benefit from them.
It heats things up faster than the stove ever could... there are plenty of decent frozen items that are meant to be microwaved... have you ever had a TV dinner? The food of the working class?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 pm

It heats things up faster than the stove ever could... there are plenty of decent frozen items that are meant to be microwaved... have you ever had a TV dinner? The food of the working class?
You have some serious misconceptions about the working class. Why would I eat a TV dinner, when I don't even watch TV?

As for Eskimo Pie, I like it frozen.

Had a frozen Klondike Bar this afternoon.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 pm
You have some serious misconceptions about the working class. Why would I eat a TV dinner, when I don't even watch TV?

As for Eskimo Pie, I like it frozen.

Had a frozen Klondike Bar this afternoon.
What exactly defines a working class person in your eyes.. and don’t give me platitudes about being in a union... what really marks a person as working class? How do I differentiate between a member of the working class and a Luddite?

My guess is that you’ve constructed some sort of definition on your own but I want to hear your vision of what defines that and how it contrasts with the middle class. Please be detailed.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:57 pm

How to explain working class to someone from another class? It's a state of mind. I suppose most of us identify with the class in which we grew up. I can't comprehend middle class any more than you can comprehend working class. It's as foreign as another language.

Our two sons both have all the trappings of middle class life. Good jobs making more money than their old man ever made. Three cars in the garage. The condo in Mexico. The cell phones. But they both know their roots. They'll never forget.

My stereotypes of the middle class are probably no more accurate than your stereotypes of the working class. We don't live on TV dinners and maybe you don't live on Starbucks coffee.

I certainly wouldn't presume to make value judgements about your middle class, because I have no understanding of it all.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:57 pm
How to explain working class to someone from another class? It's a state of mind. I suppose most of us identify with the class in which we grew up. I can't comprehend middle class any more than you can comprehend working class. It's as foreign as another language.

Our two sons both have all the trappings of middle class life. Good jobs making more money than their old man ever made. Three cars in the garage. The condo in Mexico. The cell phones. But they both know their roots. They'll never forget.

My stereotypes of the middle class are probably no more accurate than your stereotypes of the working class. We don't live on TV dinners and maybe you don't live on Starbucks coffee.

I certainly wouldn't presume to make value judgements about your middle class, because I have no understanding of it all.
What sorts of activities, lifestyle features and other things like that define it for you? What sorts of things do you do that are unique to it? Do you put socks on hanging upside down unlike other classes? That’s the kind of explanation I’m looking for.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:09 pm

What sorts of activities, lifestyle features and other things like that define it for you? What sorts of things do you do that are unique to it? Do you put socks on hanging upside down unlike other classes? That’s the kind of explanation I’m looking for.
Oh. I see what you're getting at. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that all my clothes have the labels on the inside.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:09 pm
Oh. I see what you're getting at. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that all my clothes have the labels on the inside.
It’s a start. I assume a work uniform that says “Turkeytop Inc.” would be ok?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 pm

There is no Turkeytop INC, But I suppose wearing a mandatory uniform could be characterized as a working class thing.
When I worked for the Union, one of my bargaining units was a group of about a dozen women at a small town Credit Union.

One day, one of them called me complaining that their manager wanted them all to wear these white tee shirts with some kind of slogan promoting something they had going at that time. "Can they make us wear them?" she wanted to know. I told her they could, but they couldn't tell them what to wear under them,

The next day, they all showed up in their white tee shirts, over black bras, purple bras, red bras and a couple had no bras. The manager was livid. He called my office, but I was out that day. He didn't make them wear the shirts again.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:33 am

LOL that was creative.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:25 pm

I'm 38 years old. I run a tech shop. I sell computers. I fix computers. I install software.

So I'm sure you can imagine some of the looks I get when people see my flip phone. I have 2 of them - both TracFones - one for home, and one for my business. I REFUSE to buy a smart phone. I have a PC, a laptop, and a tablet, and I fix and sell computers for a living. The last thing I feel like doing in my free time is playing on a smart phone.

I admittedly use my desktop PC quite often when I'm home, but when go out into public - 100% of my attention is on just that - what is going on in public. I actually get almost sad when I see the 30-and-under crowd and their smart phone as their third appendage. And this happened SO FAST.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Kudos to both TT and BMW...

A CELL PHONE PROPHECY...

People talking without speaking,

People hearing without listening.

And the people bowed and prayed To the neon god they made

And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

Simon and Garfunkel called it back in 1966.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:25 pm
I'm 38 years old. I run a tech shop. I sell computers. I fix computers. I install software.

So I'm sure you can imagine some of the looks I get when people see my flip phone. I have 2 of them - both TracFones - one for home, and one for my business. I REFUSE to buy a smart phone. I have a PC, a laptop, and a tablet, and I fix and sell computers for a living. The last thing I feel like doing in my free time is playing on a smart phone.

I admittedly use my desktop PC quite often when I'm home, but when go out into public - 100% of my attention is on just that - what is going on in public. I actually get almost sad when I see the 30-and-under crowd and their smart phone as their third appendage. And this happened SO FAST.
I have no social media presence whatsoever and I’m 30... so that is odd in itself.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 pm
bmw wrote:

I have no social media presence whatsoever and I’m 30... so that is odd in itself.
Hmmm, I always considered the BuzzBoard to be a from of social media.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

A little different... I’m talking about Facebook and Instagram and Twitter etc.. this is like an online bar... that isn’t... all we need is drinks and we’ll be set.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:

A little different... I’m talking about Facebook and Instagram and Twitter etc.. this is like an online bar... that isn’t... all we need is drinks and we’ll be set.
We could do without some of the riff raff though.

In regards to the class discussion, it clearly means more in Canada than here in the US. My dad is a retired UAW member and his union had a golf league every summer, and he also bowled in leagues back in the day, not sure if that was a union thing or not.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic