Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most Dangerous Roundabouts In Michigan

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

Re: Most Dangerous Roundabouts In Michigan

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am

The intersection of Hamilton & Marsh Roads in Okemos was converted from a light to a roundabout several years ago. Not a good thing to navigate during rush hour.

The thing that confuses me most about roundabouts are the lane designations. In some cases the outer-lane is designated right-turn-only at the next exit point. Other times you can take the right lane to the exit point you want. Sometimes it's tough to interpret the signs quickly while still concentrating on traffic. You pretty much have to be a local to know what's what.

MSU took out a bunch of on-campus roundabouts years ago and converted heavy-traffic intersections to full lights. Smart move given the amount of pedestrian and bike-lane traffic during the school year. I think M-Dot likes the roundabouts just because it makes for fewer lights they have to service. I think the trend should be the opposite given the erratic habits of many drivers today.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:25 pm

MSU is where I learned to navigate roundabouts.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:39 am

Same here. The old MSU roundabouts seemed larger in diameter than most built today. There was a little more road space for at least moderate daily traffic (sporting events were another matter). The lights were a much-needed improvement, although much caution is still necessary as I've encountered many on bicycles and skateboards who don't understand that traffic lights and stop signs aren't just for motor vehicles.

And, well, don't get me started on the dang Bird scooters.... :rolleyes

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:02 am

Here is a link to AA Roads where there is more discussion about roundabouts: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15546.0. There are a few mentions of Michigan in this thread.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:16 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 am
If everyone wasn't in such a hurry through the intersections the rate would drop drastically. I used to drive through a roundy 4 times a day and would see tailgating and speeding with the hope of passing just one more car before the lane merged.
There will always be the timid driver who does not feel comfortable but when people tailgate the car the car in front of them, then the other feeding roads cannot move in easily and cause a back-up on that entry area.
The Lee Rd. one in Brighton is too small a circle for the amount of traffic that has to flow thru. Not to mention trucks. Add the lack of good markings and signage and there you go.
Hoe. Lee. Shit.

I drive that one on a consistent basis (I live in the neighborhood just down Lee Rd, right after the school. Peppergrove.)

It seems the only person in a hurry is the person turning in front of me. That one will back up to the car was and 711 during drive time. Gotta have a half mile clearance before they can pull into it. I can't stand those roundabouts at all. Either too pokey or too rushed.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 pm
The one at Lee Rd. & US-23 in Brighton is by far the worst!

Martin Pkwy / Pontiac Trl / M-5: I bet that one is just awful during afternoon rush hour.

I'm glad moldyoldie mentioned the one in front of Sterling Heights City Hall; that one used to be terrible from a navigational standpoint prior to Utica Rd. being widened.

Oakland County wins the award for confusing intersections. The Woodward Ave., Main St., 11 Mile Rd, I-696 clusterscrew by the Detroit Zoo is bad enough (not a roundabout, just a f*cked up intersection). The 14 Mile Rd. / Orchard Lake / Northwestern Hwy intersection is arguably worse. It's like a damn maze. If I drove through there regularly, I'd probably get used to it.
This issue at M5 is not with the roundabout , the road was intended to extend straight through the Detroit Gun Club, connecting Martin directly to Union Lake Rd.

The gun club still exists, forcing traffic into a jog around it, which involves two intersections spaced fairly close.

Myself, I loved the roundabout at M5. The inside lane with my front tire clipping the curb as I apex was the line; you can almost drive a straight line from Martin to M5.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 am

If MDOT was allowed to build I-275 from its northern terminus up to I-75 around Pontiac back in the 70's, that roundabout would be an interchange. 20 years later M-5 was built as an answer to solve some of the heavy traffic on that area's roads.

IMHO MDOT missed its mark by not buying the property on the proposed route when it came up for sale. After the purchase, they could have prepared the land for the new freeway and actually start building when enough property was accumulated. And now, 40 years later, I-275 probably would be complete (or close to it).

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am

kc8yqq wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 am
If MDOT was allowed to build I-275 from its northern terminus up to I-75 around Pontiac back in the 70's, that roundabout would be an interchange. 20 years later M-5 was built as an answer to solve some of the heavy traffic on that area's roads.

IMHO MDOT missed its mark by not buying the property on the proposed route when it came up for sale. After the purchase, they could have prepared the land for the new freeway and actually start building when enough property was accumulated. And now, 40 years later, I-275 probably would be complete (or close to it).
I don’t know when I-275 was first proposed (1960s?), but even then people would have complained. For the record, it was supposed to reconnect to I-75 between Clarkston and Grand Blanc. Another interesting proposal was extending Northwestern (possibly as a freeway) to the proposed I-275. The land at the current end at Orchard Lake was undeveloped for decades, except for an old tiny building (I think it was a flower shop) because of it.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 am
kc8yqq wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:24 am

I don’t know when I-275 was first proposed (1960s?), but even then people would have complained. For the record, it was supposed to reconnect to I-75 between Clarkston and Grand Blanc. Another interesting proposal was extending Northwestern (possibly as a freeway) to the proposed I-275. The land at the current end at Orchard Lake was undeveloped for decades, except for an old tiny building (I think it was a flower shop) because of it.
It also doesn't help that the area of Oakland County directly north of M-5 has a boat load of lakes with older homes around them

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:09 am

On the topic of I-275 stopping short, simply extending it to M-59 would've been a big asset to the region.

Now, adding such an extension is a near impossibility. To go due north, you'd basically have to build the freeway along Union Lake Rd to avoid the lakes. The other alternative would be to curve the route northwestward and build the freeway through or along the edge of Dodge Park, and almost no one in their right mind would be willing to support that type of move!

The stubby roads in Commerce Twp. make commuting to & from there a pain in the ass. Suffice it to say, I won't be moving there or working there anytime soon.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 am

Q: What the difference between a bump-n-run and a roundabout?

A: About $1000 bucks.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:17 am
Q: What the difference between a bump-n-run and a roundabout?

A: About $1000 bucks.
Mascara.... nobody is attempting to apply mascara to their eyes at the County Fair. Yep, the number of women, "doing their make-up" while negotiating Martin Parkway and the M5 roundabout was astonishingly high.

I can't wait for the assisted living community to get rolling... The entire roundabout will be filled with septuagenarians trying to make their way to Walmart. They'll drive in endless circles unable to find their way out...

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm

M - 81 Caro exit has both roundabouts on I -75 & U.S. 23 down by Buena Vista. They also look dangerous!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm

BTW, any roundabout in West Bloomfield Twp. automatically belongs on the list.

I'm hard pressed to think of a place where the drivers are more discourteous!!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 pm
BTW, any roundabout in West Bloomfield Twp. automatically belongs on the list.

I'm hard pressed to think of a place where the drivers are more discourteous!!!
I agree. I'm thinking the people with the most depressing job are the folks that install turn signals on West Bloomfield BMW's. No one uses their product.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic