Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Scam Alert

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Scam Alert

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Got a voice mail.
We will be deducting $299 from your account if you don't call immediately to 845-809-9672
Tried calling the number and all I get is a busy signal. Punched the number into google and it is a scam. Many people have been getting the same call.

https://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-845-809-9672

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Re: Scam Alert

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Called again and got through to a guy who spoke very poor English. Said I owe $299 for computer services. Told him I didn't ask for or receive any computer services. He said I did, two years ago. Said if I send the money it will be refunded to my bank account within four hours. I hung up.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:48 pm

I treat everything as a scam unless proven otherwise nowdays. I'm generally right the first time. And the best thing is to simply NOT answer these calls. They will eventually stop calling then.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:24 pm

We got several calls in just a few minutes yesterday at work that went something like this: "This is the bank. We need your login and password information". That's as far as they got.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:07 am

These idiots with the "free grants" scam are especially a bunch of assholes. They have called us every 5 minutes for hours some days.

Also, I do not do credit cards, period. I'm laughing every time I get a call from one of these "representatives" telling me there has been "fraudulent activity" on my card.

Oh... and my SSN is "suspended" for fraud, evidently. But I guess they'll have to wait until the police serve my warrant that some other scammers claim has been filed.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:08 am

The sad part is there are tons of idiots who fall for this shit.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:11 pm
Called again and got through to a guy who spoke very poor English. Said I owe $299 for computer services. Told him I didn't ask for or receive any computer services. He said I did, two years ago. Said if I send the money it will be refunded to my bank account within four hours. I hung up.
Calling them back is the worst thing you can do. It logs your number and marks it as active in their database. The calls will ramp up once the software determines the number connects to a live person. Scammers will also sell it to other scammers who pay good money for active number lists.

Most robo-dialers are programmed to disconnect immediately when a recorded greeting is detected. Scammers have discovered that voice mail messages aren't as productive as they used to be, and they don't want to waste time and resources leaving un-returned voice-mails when they could just keep cranking out numbers until they get an actual human on the line. These things dial hundreds if not thousands of stored and random numbers per minute, looking to hook a live fish. Pausing to leave even a recorded message sucks up valuable time the computer can use to make the next call.

I have a simple rule not to answer any number I don't recognize. If it's important they'll leave a voice mail and I can call them back if it's legit (they almost never do). I still get the calls, but I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of scam calls I receive. My guess is that the robo-dialer reaches a maximum number of tries before it flags my number as inactive and drops it off the system. I've concluded over the years that these clowns aren't worth my time. Fine with me if they don't think I'm worth theirs.

Aside from that, the guy sounds quite entertaining. Pay us for something you never bought so we can refund the money you never owed. Guess they'll try anything. :razz

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic