Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Disturbance at Burger King over refund

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

Re: Disturbance at Burger King over refund

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am
I could tell customer stories too when I was very young. One got PO'd because gave her a 2-dollar bill. I remember being puzzled by her response and indicating it was legal tender. She ended yelling at me because I didn't respect elders.
Several years ago I was checking out at Sam's Club and the cashier handed me a $2 bill in nearly mint condition. I didn't say a word since I knew they weren't supposed to be in circulation and retailers are legally not supposed to tender them as change (when I worked retail we were instructed to take them out of the register so they could be turned into the bank on the next deposit). I took it home and gave it to my oldest son. Put it in a plastic protector for him and explained how rare these bills are. Told him he has a piece of American history most people under the age of 50 have never seen let alone held in their possession.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:41 am

I never got that memo on the $2 bill, but this was a long time ago.

This says it is still in production, but rare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ollar_bill

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Nothing quite like making one’s self feel superior over a person working with the general public than getting frustrated when they can’t calculate change quickly and accurately when a customer is getting more and more impatient the longer it takes.

Yea, I worked in retail for 15 years, 10 in management. I could calculate change just fine. I exchanged money, made deposits, etc just fine. But sometimes when a customer is towering over you, looking down on you, putting the pressure on High, your brain goes blank sometimes. And for someone who just may not be great at math, but is able to accept a cashier job because the computer calculates change for them because their bosses DON’T LET THEM DEVIATE FROM THAT RULE, the experience is worse for them.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:22 pm

It’s to bad we didn’t meet years ago, You could have worked for my Wife and Myself in one of our businesses.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 pm

It particularly disturbing to me just how mean people can be, on both sides of the counter. It truly gives Americans a bad stigma around the world. I think a lot of it has to do with just how difficult life itself is for the average American. Many just can't handle feeling like a slave and being broke despite the fact they're working their ass off.

Then, education in America is a flat-out disaster. The fact that so many people under thirty struggle to make change for a dollar just blows my mind. My stepdaughter is one of those. I mean, when I was in school, we knew how to figure that level of math in the first or second grade. And you knew it, or you were held back. Another thing, Americans have become wimps who need their diaper changed at 45. And worst thing.... everything has to turn into a right vs left argument, no matter how irrelevant the subject matter. The division is terrible in America, and that somehow needs to change, but I will not hold my breath as media and both parties milk the division for all it's worth and then some. We are at a point where I really don't know if this mess can be fixed at all.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 pm
It particularly disturbing to me just how mean people can be, on both sides of the counter. It truly gives Americans a bad stigma around the world. I think a lot of it has to do with just how difficult life itself is for the average American. Many just can't handle feeling like a slave and being broke despite the fact they're working their ass off.

Then, education in America is a flat-out disaster. The fact that so many people under thirty struggle to make change for a dollar just blows my mind. My stepdaughter is one of those. I mean, when I was in school, we knew how to figure that level of math in the first or second grade. And you knew it, or you were held back. Another thing, Americans have become wimps who need their diaper changed at 45. And worst thing.... everything has to turn into a right vs left argument, no matter how irrelevant the subject matter. The division is terrible in America, and that somehow needs to change, but I will not hold my breath as media and both parties milk the division for all it's worth and then some. We are at a point where I really don't know if this mess can be fixed at all.
Heaven forbid anyone suggest we go back to the values and norms of the 50's to right the ship. Why have schools changed so much since that time? Things have changed, but certainly not for better.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 pm
Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Heaven forbid anyone suggest we go back to the values and norms of the 50's to right the ship. Why have schools changed so much since that time? Things have changed, but certainly not for better.
So suppress the things that already existed and always did back under the surface so everything appears hunky dory? That wouldn’t be so good... there’s a reason we left that behind... firstly the boomers rejected it.... from there the beat goes on...

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:56 am

I worked at BK for several years during and after HS. All I can say is you get what you pay for. If you pay 2-3 bucks for a burger, you're gonna get trash ingredients that have been prepared using utensils that are possibly sanitized, but likely not. Owners cut costs so low that workers need to find ways to move quicker so its not uncommon for someone to use the same gloved hands (sometimes ungloved hands) to handle raw chicken and cooked meat. Everyone knows it happens regularly, but they don't acknowledge it.

Here's a challenge. When possible, look behind the counter and into the back where your food is being prepared. You will likely see gloves on workers hands. Sometimes you will see them change them between tasks. Often you will see them use the same tongs to handle different foods, cold and warm, which cross contaminates, you will see onions and lettuce and tomatoes transferred from near empty to full pans, this cross-contaminates. if they are understaffed and/or busy, you will see them grab foods from the specialty cooler and drop them in the fryer. this cross contaminates raw chicken with warm foods when they leave gloves on to go to make something else. Youll see your cashier expedite your order after touching money, she will go to the fry station.

If you go there when dining room is closed, you should see how they handle food when the boards are broke down.

Burger King is the single-most disgusting place you can eat at and its because their profit margins are so razor thin that owners must enforce low-quality food in order to stay in business.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:03 am

Entitled white guy wrote:
And were back to the root of our problems; the world designed for white men is going away and their losing their shit... Mr BK guy: a livable wage in Detroit is about $15 an hour, how much are you paying your staff?

Of course theft is wrong and bad behavior is not good business practice. But when your employer fights to lower the minimum wage and pays you barely above that rate why should employees give a shit about the job? There's plenty more where that came from at the bottom.

One of my clients was having the types of issues you described, I calculated the cost of turnover and training matched with the customer service deficit. He starts people at $15 now. His service business produced the highest profit since he has owned it in 2018. Better yet, everyone loves to come to work.

Consider the most favorably regarded nation fast food brand today...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on- ... 3bbf4816c9

Forgive me but you don't sound like much of a business owner, perhaps your departure is a blessing in disguise or perhaps someone who is posting 20+ times a day (almost 500 posts since joining) on a broadcast forum doesn't actually own restaurants and convenience stores.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:03 am
Entitled white guy wrote:
And were back to the root of our problems; the world designed for white men is going away and their losing their shit... Mr BK guy: a livable wage in Detroit is about $15 an hour, how much are you paying your staff?

Of course theft is wrong and bad behavior is not good business practice. But when your employer fights to lower the minimum wage and pays you barely above that rate why should employees give a shit about the job? There's plenty more where that came from at the bottom.

One of my clients was having the types of issues you described, I calculated the cost of turnover and training matched with the customer service deficit. He starts people at $15 now. His service business produced the highest profit since he has owned it in 2018. Better yet, everyone loves to come to work.

Consider the most favorably regarded nation fast food brand today...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on- ... 3bbf4816c9

Forgive me but you don't sound like much of a business owner, perhaps your departure is a blessing in disguise or perhaps someone who is posting 20+ times a day (almost 500 posts since joining) on a broadcast forum doesn't actually own restaurants and convenience stores.
Huh? You quote me pondering the changes to our educational system over the years and possible correlation to the inability of today's high school graduates to be able to count change, and go on a diatribe about the postings of a fictional BK owner?

Me thinks you got your people confused.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 am

My guess the very first sentence was meant for you, and from the "Mr BK Guy:" onward was meant for the restaurant owner in this thread.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 am

Bryce,

The DeVos clan has done an adequate job gutting education in our state putting us at 47th Place. So you're going to support keeping it marginal while complaining about it?

The way you and probably I learned has never been a tremendously successful way to teach. The more we learn about brain science the more rote and imperial education has been proven not very effective.

The rest of the comments were for the alleged restaurant owner. I smell another wandering alias.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 am
Bryce,

The DeVos clan has done an adequate job gutting education in our state putting us at 47th Place. So you're going to support keeping it marginal while complaining about it?

The way you and probably I learned has never been a tremendously successful way to teach. The more we learn about brain science the more rote and imperial education has been proven not very effective.

The rest of the comments were for the alleged restaurant owner. I smell another wandering alias.
I can't find state by state rankings for achievement by year to compare the 1960's/70's to today. I did find this:
In 2003, Michigan’s white higher-income students ranked 17th in the nation in fourth grade reading. By 2014, they ranked 45th. By 2015, they ranked 50th. Overall, Michigan fourth grade students dropped from 28th in reading in 2003 to 38th in 2013 and 41st in 2015.
Michigan’s minority students continue to face a considerable K-12 achievement gap. Just 9 percent of black students were proficient in fourth grade reading in 2015, compared to 32 percent of white students. Michigan’s African-American fourth graders rank last in the nation in reading. Michigan’s low-income eighth graders rank 46th in math.
I would be interested on your insight as to why this has happened. Pesonaly, I think the lack of quality parenting has as much, maybe more, to do with this as the failure of the educational system.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:31 pm

We can start here:

Our benefits (thanks to a BCBS monopoly are higher, as are "Other" expenses, but our instructors are paid marginally.

Also, the curriculum has steadily gone toward the "No Child Left Behind" model, so just the basics are taught. The country has eliminated critical thinking and problem-solving in lieu of the MDE proffers.

I agree that parents or guardians can have an amazing influence on the development of a child. How do they do that when both parents are working two jobs to eek out a living, When we have livable wages, and we had a middle class, one parent had the time to be at home for their kid's education.

All roads to fix these issues lead to better funding and moving away from the traditional "factory school" mentality. And don't get me started on Betsy's internet schools...

Also...

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:11 am

I think the one thing that jumps out at me that I think you and I can agree on is the focus on teaching how to pass tests rather than how to think is a failure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic