Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What Import Vehicles doYou Like?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: What Import Vehicles doYou Like?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:27 am

Subaru's are all wheel drive, they are really popular in the pacific NW I'm told.
True - and in places such as Utah and Colorado. They are also quite popular in Michigan. There are no fewer than three Subaru dealerships within ten miles of my house.

Subaru is known for its boxer-style engines (named such because the pistons lay flat and move horizontally as opposed to vertically), excellent AWD system that comes standard on every vehicle, and early adoption & widespread use of continuously variable transmissions. CVTs can be controversial - due to rubber-bandy acceleration feel and dronie motor noise - but Subaru's implementation is pretty good.

Now, time to mention some negative attributes. Years ago, Subaru had a blown head gasket issue. More recently, many late model Subarus have had issues with windshields cracking. Their cars also tend to have a lot of driver safety technology, some of which can be quite obtrusive and annoying. Their infotainment software prior to this year was also known to be very glitchy with poor interface layout.

If I were in the market for a subcompact CUV, the Crosstrek would be at or near the top of my list. Impressive rear leg room; far better than the Toyota Corolla Cross or Mazda CX-30 in that regard. Sufficient acceleration if you opt for the larger of the two engine choices. In contrast, the Corolla Cross suffers from pathetic headroom (especially in the front row) and a lethargic power train. I have no idea why someone would pick a Corolla Cross over a Camry sedan or lightly used lower trim RAV-4, either of which can be had for the same price.

Returning to Subaru, I'd steer clear of the full sized Ascent, which had extensive reliability and build quality issues its first couple years in production in particular.

As for Mazda, they make a pretty darn good powertrain these days. Overall, a good car for the money. There are three or four knocks against Mazda, though:
- Their infotainment interface, which is primarily controlled by way of a dial and buttons near the center armrest, can be a challenge to master. I've also read of issues with voice command recognition.
- Some of their seats are known to be on the overly firm / less comfortable side.
- Cargo capacity and leg room can be lacking compared to competing vehicles in the same class.
- Dealer network is more limited than several of its Asian competitors.

For Nissan, I'd avoid any vehicle with a Jatco-built continuously variable transmission unless the car can be had for a dirt cheap price. Those transmissions are flaming piles of garbage.

Speaking of flames, Hyundai and Kia vehicles have reputations for engine fires and electrical fires. Anyone who purchases one would be wise to adhere to the maintenance schedule to a tee to ensure the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty doesn't get voided.

The new badging on Kia vehicles looks horrible; the crappy looking new logo is made to look even worse by virtue of the fact it looks to be either a sticker or painted.

I love the interior of the current generation Hyundai Santa Fe; it's a shame the front fascia of most trims of the current generation look hideous.

I would be remiss if I did not say to avoid the Jeep Compass and Jeep Renegade like the plague, unless again, you are able to pick one up for a dirt cheap price. Poor internals (plenty of Fiat parts), poor ride, and widespread reliability issues.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:31 am

I'd love to get another Charger. Regrettably, my wife has too much difficulty getting in and out of a low vehicle like that. She needs something taller.

The Toyota Rav 4 is built in Woodstock ON, about 25 miles from our home. But it isn't Union built.
Ford's Oakville Assembly plant in Ontario has a very good reputation.

It sounds like once the Edge is discontinued, that plant will be building EVs for Ford.

Too bad the Ford vehicles built in Chicago and Louisville are junk these days.

I will say as much as I dislike the exterior looks of the current generation Equinox, overall, Chevrolet did a pretty good job with that car. From a reliability and ride experience standpoint, it is a big improvement from the prior generation according to everything I've read.

I realize I didn't mention any European cars in my prior post. I'll have to save that for next time. Note that I did not spend any time discussing luxury cars. That's because most late model luxury cars are overpriced money pits.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:27 am
Subaru's are all wheel drive, they are really popular in the pacific NW I'm told.
True - and in places such as Utah and Colorado. They are also quite popular in Michigan. There are no fewer than three Subaru dealerships within ten miles of my house.

Subaru is known for its boxer-style engines (named such because the pistons lay flat and move horizontally as opposed to vertically), excellent AWD system that comes standard on every vehicle, and early adoption & widespread use of continuously variable transmissions. CVTs can be controversial - due to rubber-bandy acceleration feel and dronie motor noise - but Subaru's implementation is pretty good.

Now, time to mention some negative attributes. Years ago, Subaru had a blown head gasket issue. More recently, many late model Subarus have had issues with windshields cracking. Their cars also tend to have a lot of driver safety technology, some of which can be quite obtrusive and annoying. Their infotainment software prior to this year was also known to be very glitchy with poor interface layout.

If I were in the market for a subcompact CUV, the Crosstrek would be at or near the top of my list. Impressive rear leg room; far better than the Toyota Corolla Cross or Mazda CX-30 in that regard. Sufficient acceleration if you opt for the larger of the two engine choices. In contrast, the Corolla Cross suffers from pathetic headroom (especially in the front row) and a lethargic power train. I have no idea why someone would pick a Corolla Cross over a Camry sedan or lightly used lower trim RAV-4, either of which can be had for the same price.

Returning to Subaru, I'd steer clear of the full sized Ascent, which had extensive reliability and build quality issues its first couple years in production in particular.

As for Mazda, they make a pretty darn good powertrain these days. Overall, a good car for the money. There are three or four knocks against Mazda, though:
- Their infotainment interface, which is primarily controlled by way of a dial and buttons near the center armrest, can be a challenge to master. I've also read of issues with voice command recognition.
- Some of their seats are known to be on the overly firm / less comfortable side.
- Cargo capacity and leg room can be lacking compared to competing vehicles in the same class.

For Nissan, I'd avoid any vehicle with a Jatco-built continuously variable transmission unless the car can be had for a dirt cheap price. Those transmissions are flaming piles of garbage.

Speaking of flames, Hyundai and Kia vehicles have reputations for engine fires and electrical fires. Anyone who purchases one would be wise to adhere to the maintenance schedule to a tee to ensure the 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty doesn't get voided.

The new badging on Kia vehicles looks horrible; the crappy looking new logo is made to look even worse by virtue of the fact it looks to be either a sticker or painted.

I love the interior of the current generation Hyundai Santa Fe; it's a shame the front fascia of most trims of the current generation look hideous.

I would be remiss if I did not say to avoid the Jeep Compass and Jeep Renegade like the plague, unless again, you are able to pick one up for a dirt cheap price. Poor internals (plenty of Fiat parts), poor ride, and widespread reliability issues.
Fiat parts? Yeah run. Hmm? Come to think of it, I did see some Subaru's when I was visiting around Traverse City years ago. There are 2 dealers in my region, Yark Subaru(building used to be a Saturn Dealer) in Toledo and Great Lakes Subaru in Findlay. SE Michigan/NW Ohio Jeep is king for obvious reasons. Never been out west but just going by what I've been told a few times about Subaru.

Nissan has had Transmisson issues for a while now. Kia's and Hyundai's I would avoid at this time. Mazda's are overall pretty solid, there is only 1 small dealer near me though. Although maybe some years down the road when its time to replace my Passat I may consider a Mazda.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:46 pm
Many of the cars listed here are made in the USA.

I haven't owned a US brand daily vehicle since 1994. My current daily truck was made in Ohio. I have 11 other vehicles, two are GM Coach and Bus, the rest are German or Japanese. I already own my dream car, but I would love a MK1 manual Jetta

TT, get another Charger while they are still available.
I think about 10 years ago, I read of all vehicles sold in America, the Toyota Tacoma made in Georgetown Kentucky, with steel from AK Steel in Ohio, is the highest content US made vehicle.

Like Turkey has alluded to, a lot of the cars and trucks sold with a Big 3 nameplate are actually not made here. I remember getting into it with a gal where I used to work. She had a Buy USA sticker on her Ford Fusion, which was (at the time) made in Mexico with foreign parts bumper to bumper.

And I got to thinking. I've probably owned a couple dozen cars and trucks in my lifetime.
Not one wasn't the a Big 3 or Saturn vehicle. (I only added Saturn because wasn't they separate from GM?).
I'm not saying some may of been made elsewhere and had a big 3 nameplate on it.
And I can be honestly say it wasn't intentionally. Just the way things panned out I guess.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:10 pm

Big fan of my GM built 2009 Saab. Had it since 2016. Had a lot of issues for the first four years, but it has calmed down ever since COVID. *Knocks on wood* Disclaimer: Past performance does not negate future risk. Biggest gripe is I have to take it to New Haven or Ann Arbor for servicing because every auto shop around here refuses to work on it.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:07 pm

The last 2 SUV's have been Nissan. I agree with the comments about the CVT.

The Japan built 2013 Rouge went into limp mode while going up the grapevine into LA when I lived in the Sacramento area. Brought the SUV new in Denver and never has a problem, To fix it I had to change the CVT fluid and refill about about 3/4 full, and set the Coolant mixture to -25 (not quite 50/50). Never had the issue again, crossed several passes driving to the flat lands of the midwest. Daughter now drives it.

The 2020 Pathfinder is US built.

I prefer my Dearborn built F-150.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:44 pm

Regarding Mazda's infotainment systems, in one city, they would be stuck on the local NPR affiliate and the other parts of the infotainment system wouldn't work. I think it could be fixed at the dealer's service department though.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 pm

My Dad replaced his Trailblazer last year with a Nissan Pathfinder, he really likes it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:07 am

My only issues with Nissan is the CVT transmissions they use.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:16 am

Nissan engines are fine; indeed the Jatco CVT transmissions are the issue.

The new generation Pathfinder, by the way, uses a 9-speed conventional automatic. I think the current generation hit the market in 2022, if I remember correctly.
I think about 10 years ago, I read of all vehicles sold in America, the Toyota Tacoma made in Georgetown Kentucky, with steel from AK Steel in Ohio, is the highest content US made vehicle.
That might have been true 10 years ago. Until a couple years ago, many of the Tacomas were built in San Antonio, TX. Now, all models sold in the U.S. are built in Mexico, in Guanajuato or Tijuana. That shift began with the 2022 model year.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:27 am

Subaru "quality" is questionable with open-block or semi-open-block aluminum boxer engines. Headgasket problems (forever) including coolant/oil leaks and valve train failure and oil burning are also more common than other brands. https://community.cartalk.com/t/subaru- ... r/27647/43

In my opinion the only boxer you should be driving is an air cooled one.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:51 pm

The head gasket issues are less common in Subaru vehicles manufactured in the past decade.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles ... wing-about
https://mechanicbase.com/engine/subaru- ... -problems/

Some current generation Subaru models use a turbo charged boxer style engine for more power. I'd certainly be leery of those.

Despite not being the most reliable vehicles long-term, Subaru vehicles have long been known to command strong resale value.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:16 am

Beware of 2015 to 2020 Subaru Forester, Outback and Legacy vehicles....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 108995007/

There are incidences of unintended acceleration after depressing the brake pedal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic