Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prepper repellent

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Prepper repellent

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:34 am

Our county is installing "big brother" cameras. Besides finding amber alert cars, it will also sound an alarm when a vehicle has no plates. This is a big prepper move in Northern Michigan; skip license plates.

Recently, the State Police have been impounding cars that aren't registered.

Remember, driving on roads is not a wackado right but a privilege. Hopefully, this keeps the nutters away from our county and in the backwoods they love so much.
The Grand Traverse Sheriff’s Office is preparing to deploy a new technology in fighting crime: license plate-reading cameras that can provide real-time alerts when cars that are stolen or involved in a crime or AMBER alert travel within the community. The cameras can also capture other vehicle information – including make, model, color, and features like roof racks and bumper stickers – in a searchable format for law enforcement. Sheriff’s Office representatives told Garfield Township trustees – who approved installing 14 cameras this week – that the technology could be used to solve crimes ranging from kidnappings to property crimes to hit-and-runs.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Re: Prepper repellent

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 pm

Those readers have popped up in a number of places in Michigan, including in several metro Detroit suburbs. It'd be nice if there were some media coverage on the success (or not) of them and how often they are actually used to help solve / prevent criminal activity.

Isn't not being plated more of a sovereign citizen thing rather than something related to being a prepper? I know there is a good deal of political overlap but those are definitely two very different "things".
Wellllll... la de frickin da

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:52 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:34 am
Our county is installing "big brother" cameras. Besides finding amber alert cars, it will also sound an alarm when a vehicle has no plates. This is a big prepper move in Northern Michigan; skip license plates.
Remember, driving on roads is not a wackado right but a privilege. Hopefully, this keeps the nutters away from our county and in the backwoods they love so much.
Most everywhere these readers are proposed it is the far left who object loudly. It is mostly conservative leaning or moderate people who don't have a problem with them.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:56 pm

I don't really have a problem with the plate readers, but wonder what the penalties are for misuse of the data?? I would like to see some felony-level penalties for any use above and beyond what's publicly stated and see what the response is.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:59 pm

I'm against it.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:44 pm

Harumph!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

kager

Post by kager » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:51 pm

Front plates are not a requirement in da mitt, and there are many ways to obfuscate the rear ones.

Not political at all.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 pm

kager wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:51 pm
Front plates are not a requirement in da mitt, and there are many ways to obfuscate the rear ones.
I'm hearing there may be a problem with them lately. Because of the ever increasing potpourri of different styles of plates in our great state, the readers are not catching every plate anymore.

And the reader does not ascertain what kind of car the plate is on. You can put a plate registered to a Kia on a Dodge Ram pickup. As long as the plate isn't stolen or expired, won't catch the mismatch.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:04 pm

These cameras can read any plate even with some tinting on a plate cover.

It can only look for problems if told there is a problem.

Disney can put your social media headshot into their security system and find you anywhere in their corporate properties. They can put in a time and location range and it will produce a list of almost everyone in that area at that time. England has been been doing this for almost a decade.

Amazing stuff.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:03 pm

For those against plate readers in Michigan, I know of at least 4 places off the top of my head where there are cameras reading your plate as you come into our state. It’s been here for a number of years…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:28 pm

There are nine International border crossings from Ontario to the US. All have license plate cameras in both directions.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic