Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Products whose prices have soared thanks to inflation / supply chain strains / or pure bullshit reasons

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Products whose prices have soared thanks to inflation / supply chain strains / or pure bullshit reasons

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:28 am

Aside from the ones we all know about (gasoline, natural gas, beef, prepackaged foods, motor vehicles), price rises on the following three consumer products have surprised me a bit:

- Deodorant / anti-perspirant. The one I normally buy used to be about $3.99 regular price. It's now $5.49 to even $6.49 depending on store. I am switching brands. Picked up the five pack of Degree Ultra-Clear that Costco is selling for $15.

- Car tires. I don't *need* new tires but I'm not particularly thrilled with the ride quality of my current tires. A year ago, after prices already began to rise, there were decent options available where I probably could've gotten four good quality tires for about $700 to $750 out the door. Today? $900+ (regular price) if I were to move forward. I most likely will stick with what I got.

- Here's a big one: dog food! Some really like Hill's Science Diet; some despise the brand (although the criticism seems largely rooted in their marketing tactics as opposed to recipe). Their dry food has always worked well with my dog. Used to be able to get a 34 pound bag for $52.98 regular price and would often find coupons or discounts for $10 off or 20% off. Now, the regular price is $68 (!!!) and the coupons / discounts are tougher to find. My "Plan B" food was always American Journey from chewy.com, which is their house brand. First, they shrunk the size of the bag. Then, they jacked up the price by about $10! $49.98 for a 28 lb bag of a private label food is a joke.

I just bought a 40 lb bag of dog food at Costco for $34.98. Online reviews range from good to excellent. Even the pickiest reviewers gave it decent marks at worst. My dog will eat anything but some food doesn't digest particularly well (Blue Buffalo being an example). I hope the Kirkland Signature brand works well for him.

I'd be curious if anyone has tried Amazon's "Wag" line of dog foods.

Bryce

Re: Products whose prices have soared thanks to inflation / supply chain strains / or pure bullshit reasons

Post by Bryce » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:46 am

Personally, I feel the Kirkland brand is too high in non nutritional carbohydrates.

I'm somewhat a fan of American Journey. I use it, but supplement it with raw, (Costco boneless chicken thighs are cheaper than some dog foods) flaxseed, salmon oil and sardines.

Didn't even know the Wag line existed. I'll check it out.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Re: Products whose prices have soared thanks to inflation / supply chain strains / or pure bullshit reasons

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 am

Maybe this is worthy of its own thread, but I have a few things that actually continue to go DOWN in price compared to a year ago:

-Solid state hard drives
-Refurbished laptops and PC's (now with actually pretty decent hardware under the hood)
-Solar panels

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:10 am

Good info, Bryce. I'll report back once I start feeding him Kirkland in a couple weeks.

Thanks to BMW as well. My folks will need a new computer soon. Motherboard on theirs is starting to crap out. I bought them an inexpensive PC in 2013. Has served them well until recently. Any particular brands or models you recommend? If refurbished, which sellers are reputable? Their preference is a new machine, however. They mainly use their PC for email and online shopping.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:24 am

This is my line of work, and most of my client base (at least locally) is elderly clients in the same boat as your parents.

Still my go-to refurbished model is the HP Elite 8300, Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF).

You can get one in Grade-A condition on ebay, 128 GB Solid state hard drive, 8 GB of ram, and a 3rd gen i5 CPU (i5-3470) for $129 shipped. It is basically a shrunken-down desktop that still has a CD/DVD drive and also has 10 USB ports, some of them being 3.0. It is also to date the easiest to repair model I've ever encountered - any part that could need replaced is super easy to get at.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313936699289

(note it is unclear from that particular listing whether the power supply (external) is included and also whether there's a Windows COA sticker which could be used to activate Windows 10 or 11. These came with either a Windows 7 Pro COA or a Windows 8 Pro embedded license, depending on the exact manufacture year - I think these were made for 2 or 3 years).

Now if you were interested in having someone like me set one up with WIndows 10 or 11, unbloated, message me. I believe I still have one or 2 of these left in my own stock. I could of course bump up the SSD size if necessary (though 128 or 240 is plenty for most elderly people).
Last edited by bmw on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am

As a money saving tip for dog treats, because commercial dog treats are outrageously overpriced, pick up a pack of cheap store brand chicken hot dogs at whatever grocery you go to. They're usually somewhere around a buck buck and a quarter of package. Slice them into button size pieces maybe a quarter inch thick throw them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to remove the moisture and sodium and store them in the refrigerator.
Dogs love them, providing they don't have a chicken allergy, and you'll save a ton of money.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:38 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am
As a money saving tip for dog treats, because commercial dog treats are outrageously overpriced, pick up a pack of cheap store brand chicken hot dogs at whatever grocery you go to. They're usually somewhere around a buck buck and a quarter of package. Slice them into button size pieces maybe a quarter inch thick throw them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to remove the moisture and sodium and store them in the refrigerator.
Dogs love them, providing they don't have a chicken allergy, and you'll save a ton of money.
Great idea, Bryce....I'll try that today.

Baby carrots and regular carrots are great, inexpensive treats too. Most dogs love the crunch, they are nutritious and not high in calories.

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Bryce wrote:
When we had our dog, I thought chicken wieners would be a nice treat for her. Turns out she was allergic to something in them and broke out in a skin rash.

We have friends who make peanut butter cookies for their dog and just leave the sugar out of the recipe.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:28 pm
Bryce wrote:
When we had our dog, I thought chicken wieners would be a nice treat for her. Turns out she was allergic to something in them and broke out in a skin rash.

We have friends who make peanut butter cookies for their dog and just leave the sugar out of the recipe.
LL101 does something with peanut butter for his dogs too.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:26 am

Dish soap. I could get an 18 oz bottle of Ajax dish soap for $1.49 6 months ago, it is now double at $2.99. Kroger dish soap and the "Check This Out" brand are conveniently unavailable and have been for 4 months. "Check This Out" was 99 cents for a 15 oz before the New Year, and it is now listed at $1.69.

Good news for me:
My Arm and Hammer anti perspirant is still $1.99 for the stick by the way for the same 2.6 oz. It has remained the same price the last 2 years after I switched from Speedstick when they jumped in 2020.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:24 am
This is my line of work, and most of my client base (at least locally) is elderly clients in the same boat as your parents.

Still my go-to refurbished model is the HP Elite 8300, Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF).

You can get one in Grade-A condition on ebay, 128 GB Solid state hard drive, 8 GB of ram, and a 3rd gen i5 CPU (i5-3470) for $129 shipped. It is basically a shrunken-down desktop that still has a CD/DVD drive and also has 10 USB ports, some of them being 3.0. It is also to date the easiest to repair model I've ever encountered - any part that could need replaced is super easy to get at.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313936699289

(note it is unclear from that particular listing whether the power supply (external) is included and also whether there's a Windows COA sticker which could be used to activate Windows 10 or 11. These came with either a Windows 7 Pro COA or a Windows 8 Pro embedded license, depending on the exact manufacture year - I think these were made for 2 or 3 years).

Now if you were interested in having someone like me set one up with WIndows 10 or 11, unbloated, message me. I believe I still have one or 2 of these left in my own stock. I could of course bump up the SSD size if necessary (though 128 or 240 is plenty for most elderly people).
Does the bios support IDE mode over SATA?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:01 am

50 cents for a bubble gum ball. For some strange reason, that bothers me as much as any other price increase. Maybe because of my memories of the one cent bubble gum that I could always afford, no matter what age I was.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 am

Thanks bmw for the recommendations.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 am

We have inflation. I don't like it but have to accept it.

What really bothers me how some Companies try to keep the price the same by shrinking the package size.

I like V8 juice. I buy it by bthe case at COSTCO 30 X 355 ml cans.. I went in this week to get some and the cans are now 155 ml..

Just sell the same size can and charge whatever you have to. I'll either buy it or I wont. For sure I will not be buying the new size.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:40 am

What I'm also seeing in addition to the raise in prices is that the discounts and sales aren't nearly as good. EVERY MONTH I used to see a whole list of things fall into the "two for the price of one" sales and now those same things are maybe only 20 or 30% off, if on sale at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic