Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 2 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun May 02, 2021 3:58 am

Our Canadian friends at the CBC reported a very damning documentary about the dangers of sugar in our food. This was filmed 7 years ago Watch what happens when they study a family who eats processed food and then changes to non sugar added foods.

https://youtu.be/K3ksKkCOgTw


My mom taught me an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's too bad Repubes don't believe in prevention for COVID, but they can deny someone water waiting in a line to vote.

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Bryce » Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am

Some of us have known this for years. Processed sugar is poison. High fructose corn syrup is worse.

Why do you think we have such a high rate of diabetes in this country?


There are very hard men among us that are willing to stand up to evil with extraordinary violence. Thank one of them today.

Matt
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Matt » Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am
Some of us have known this for years. Processed sugar is poison. High fructose corn syrup is worse.

Why do you think we have such a high rate of diabetes in this country?
Poor diet choices and lack of exercise?



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Bryce » Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am

Matt wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am
Bryce wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am
Some of us have known this for years. Processed sugar is poison. High fructose corn syrup is worse.

Why do you think we have such a high rate of diabetes in this country?
Poor diet choices and lack of exercise?
Indeed. Unfortunately, manufacturers put and hide processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup in many things that people don't realize. Even some people that think they're eating healthy, aren't.

Case in point. I know a person with a weight problem. He decided to loose some weight and had asked me to make up a beginner exercise routine. Of course I was more than happy to help. But, first, I said lets look at your diet.

He told me that he has started to try and eat healthy to drop some pounds. In the morning, he said, he has started eating Kellogg's Raisin Bran instead of Frosted Flakes. :eek A quick look at the label on the box will tell you that Raisin Bran has 18 grams of sugar per cup. That's a bunch. Guess what? Kellogg Frosted Flakes has 15 grams per cup. So, in an effort to eat healthy, he actually made a choice that was worse.

Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?

Take Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies. It has a whopping 30 grams of sugar in a one cup serving. Carbohydrates make up 90% of the calories consumed. You may as well have a Snickers bar for breakfast.


There are very hard men among us that are willing to stand up to evil with extraordinary violence. Thank one of them today.

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 2516
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 03, 2021 12:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am
Matt wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am
Bryce wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am
Some of us have known this for years. Processed sugar is poison. High fructose corn syrup is worse.

Why do you think we have such a high rate of diabetes in this country?
Poor diet choices and lack of exercise?
Indeed. Unfortunately, manufacturers put and hide processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup in many things that people don't realize. Even some people that think they're eating healthy, aren't.

Case in point. I know a person with a weight problem. He decided to loose some weight and had asked me to make up a beginner exercise routine. Of course I was more than happy to help. But, first, I said lets look at your diet.

He told me that he has started to try and eat healthy to drop some pounds. In the morning, he said, he has started eating Kellogg's Raisin Bran instead of Frosted Flakes. :eek A quick look at the label on the box will tell you that Raisin Bran has 18 grams of sugar per cup. That's a bunch. Guess what? Kellogg Frosted Flakes has 15 grams per cup. So, in an effort to eat healthy, he actually made a choice that was worse.

Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?

Take Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies. It has a whopping 30 grams of sugar in a one cup serving. Carbohydrates make up 90% of the calories consumed. You may as well have a Snickers bar for breakfast.
Absolutely true. People buy low-fat and no-fat foods thinking they are being healthy and the majority of these products add sugar to them to improve the taste.


LMAO...............so says ............... YOU!

Matt
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Matt » Mon May 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am
Matt wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am
Bryce wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am
Some of us have known this for years. Processed sugar is poison. High fructose corn syrup is worse.

Why do you think we have such a high rate of diabetes in this country?
Poor diet choices and lack of exercise?
Indeed. Unfortunately, manufacturers put and hide processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup in many things that people don't realize. Even some people that think they're eating healthy, aren't.

Case in point. I know a person with a weight problem. He decided to loose some weight and had asked me to make up a beginner exercise routine. Of course I was more than happy to help. But, first, I said lets look at your diet.

He told me that he has started to try and eat healthy to drop some pounds. In the morning, he said, he has started eating Kellogg's Raisin Bran instead of Frosted Flakes. :eek A quick look at the label on the box will tell you that Raisin Bran has 18 grams of sugar per cup. That's a bunch. Guess what? Kellogg Frosted Flakes has 15 grams per cup. So, in an effort to eat healthy, he actually made a choice that was worse.

Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?

Take Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies. It has a whopping 30 grams of sugar in a one cup serving. Carbohydrates make up 90% of the calories consumed. You may as well have a Snickers bar for breakfast.
I can confidently say I'm not a H*** fan of Michelle Obama, but her efforts on improving nutrition in schools were unfairly panned.

I also think it's odd that a presumed adult male is eating sugary cereals on a daily basis. Was part of the plan to ween him off of the cereal?

Somewhat related, there is conflicting research on if coffee is good for you or not, but I don't understand people who add sugar to coffee. That is unequivocally bad for you - if you need to add sugar, ya probably don't actually like coffee.



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Bryce » Mon May 03, 2021 5:47 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:09 pm


I also think it's odd that a presumed adult male is eating sugary cereals on a daily basis. Was part of the plan to ween him off of the cereal?

I think it was a childhood comfort food for him. I have him intermittent fasting at the moment. He only consumes calories between 2 PM and 9 PM with a light workout routine in the morning instead of breakfast.

He's down 10lbs in 2.5 weeks.


There are very hard men among us that are willing to stand up to evil with extraordinary violence. Thank one of them today.

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 pm

I have started Noom and have lost 7 pounds in 9 days. Big fan of it! I eat what I want in moderation. Mindset is a big reason people don't lose weight.


My mom taught me an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's too bad Repubes don't believe in prevention for COVID, but they can deny someone water waiting in a line to vote.

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 pm

I love noom... The smarter people figure out that your coach is actually a chatbot the stupid people talk with them all day and it works.

MyFitnessPal does a better job with the actual act of tracking food properly.


© 2021 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved. By reading my content you agree to my privacy policy and except my terms of usage.

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 3233
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 pm
I love noom... The smarter people figure out that your coach is actually a chatbot the stupid people talk with them all day and it works.

MyFitnessPal does a better job with the actual act of tracking food properly.
Well, I do feel stupid now. I thought she was real.


My mom taught me an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's too bad Repubes don't believe in prevention for COVID, but they can deny someone water waiting in a line to vote.

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 pm
I love noom... The smarter people figure out that your coach is actually a chatbot the stupid people talk with them all day and it works.

MyFitnessPal does a better job with the actual act of tracking food properly.
Well, I do feel stupid now. I thought she was real.
There are real coaches but many of the updates that you get are chatbot. Try asking a question that's really specific, you will get a generic cheerleader kind of answer. Then you know it's a chatbot.


© 2021 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved. By reading my content you agree to my privacy policy and except my terms of usage.

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 pm
I have started Noom and have lost 7 pounds in 9 days. Big fan of it! I eat what I want in moderation. Mindset is a big reason people don't lose weight.
Good for you!!!

I'm not completely sure of your age or how much protein vs. carbohydrates you consume, nor how active you are on a daily basis, but please remember that with rapid weight loss, more than 3 lbs. per week, up to 25% of the weight you loose can be muscle mass.

This is a double edge sword as muscle mass ups your metabolic rate. While you're even sitting on your ass, muscle mass burns three times the amount of calories that fat does. I highly recommend that you include some sort of resistance training as well as including more protein than normal, while dieting.

Too many dieters end up being "skinny fat". Look ok with clothes on but not so good with the shirt off.

Think of this. One extra pound of muscle will burn 1,008 calories a week just while you're sitting or laying on the couch doing nothing. Even sleeping. Not to mention the calories burned while you were doing the actual resistance training to build that muscle in the first place.

Think about it.


There are very hard men among us that are willing to stand up to evil with extraordinary violence. Thank one of them today.

User avatar
bmw
Posts: 3182
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by bmw » Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 am

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am
Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?
Then there's these "candy-filled fun straws" that have been around for over half a century - basically nothing more than colored sugar:

Image



User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 am

bmw wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 am
Bryce wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am
Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?
Then there's these "candy-filled fun straws" that have been around for over half a century - basically nothing more than colored sugar:

Image
At least they are honest and label the item as a candy. Kellogg's markets their product as a breakfast food. Their slogan, "Part of a complete breakfast" is misleading.


There are very hard men among us that are willing to stand up to evil with extraordinary violence. Thank one of them today.

Matt
Posts: 4452
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:18 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: The Dirty Secrets of Sugar

Post by Matt » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 am
bmw wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 am
Bryce wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 am
Much has been said about the evils of Joe Camel and the tobacco company trying to appeal to kids. It is evil. But is Kellogg's, a cereal company that markets unhealthy breakfast cereals to kids, any less evil?
Then there's these "candy-filled fun straws" that have been around for over half a century - basically nothing more than colored sugar:

Image
At least they are honest and label the item as a candy. Kellogg's markets their product as a breakfast food. Their slogan, "Part of a complete breakfast" is misleading.
Kind of like "more doctors recommend Lucky Strike..." from decades ago.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic