Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Old county weather maps

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Old county weather maps

Post by mtburb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Another thread on this forum made mention that back in the 1990's, the Detroit stations displayed Hillsdale, Lenawee, Jackson, Shiawassee and Genesee Counties in addition to their DMA (these stations still show Lenawee County to this date).

And I once read another thread, now long deleted, that made mention of WJRT displaying counties outside of their DMA when a storm rolled through in, I believe, the 1980's. Displayed were Ingham County and a county or two in northern Michigan (keep in mind, 29&8 were much weaker and WLAJ didn't exist when this happened).

I also brought up this topic on a Discord server, which garnered replies from some Ohio people there.

One mentioned that until WKBN/WYTV were sold to LIN, their weather maps showed Portage, Geauga, Stark, and Ashtabula Counties in Ohio and Lawrence County in Pennsylvania in addition to their DMA.

Another mentioned that WCMH, back when it was an NBC O&O, as well as other Columbus stations in that period, displayed virtually every county east of Dayton. Likewise for Dayton stations, with every county west of Columbus and north of Cincinnati.

I do have to wonder, though, did WTOL ever include additional Michigan counties in their weather maps in the late 1990's before WWJ built their new transmitter?

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

ftballfan

Re: Old county weather maps

Post by ftballfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

I wonder if the Green Bay stations ever included Manistee and Mason counties on their weather maps.

Outside of its DMA, it appears WJRT still includes Clare, Roscommon, Alcona, Sanilac, Livingston, and Oakland counties. I would also imagine Clinton, Ingham, Eaton, St. Clair, Oscoda, and Alpena counties were included at one point.

WLNS still includes the following counties in addition to the five in the Lansing/Jackson DMA: Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Gratiot, Ionia, Lenawee, Livingston, Montcalm, Shiawassee, Washtenaw.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

Clare is part of Flint/Saginaw/Bay City DMA as far as I know. I always thought the technical boundary was M-55.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 am

organman95 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am
Clare is part of Flint/Saginaw/Bay City DMA as far as I know. I always thought the technical boundary was M-55.
Clare has gone back and forth, but has settled in the Traverse City/Cadillac DMA in recent years (in no small part due to 9&10's stick being in neighboring Osceola County)

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Toledo still includes Monroe and Hillsdale Counties.

I think the Detroit stations used to show Tuscola as well.

I keep losing track of what market Hancock County (Findlay) is in- Toledo or Lima.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm
I keep losing track of what market Hancock County (Findlay) is in- Toledo or Lima.
Hancock is in the Toledo DMA as far back as I know. The next county to the west, Putnam, however, has gone back and forth between Toledo and Lima, but I believe it has currently settled in the Lima DMA for a couple years now.
ftballfan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Outside of its DMA, it appears WJRT still includes Clare, Roscommon, Alcona, Sanilac, Livingston, and Oakland counties. I would also imagine Clinton, Ingham, Eaton, St. Clair, Oscoda, and Alpena counties were included at one point.

WLNS still includes the following counties in addition to the five in the Lansing/Jackson DMA: Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Gratiot, Ionia, Lenawee, Livingston, Montcalm, Shiawassee, Washtenaw.
fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm
Toledo still includes Monroe and Hillsdale Counties.
The interesting part of this - Monroe, Oakland, Livingston and Washtenaw and how they are in these respective viewing areas.

Monroe County, I am still surprised all of it is in the Detroit DMA, you can thank South Rockwood, Carleton and Milan for this. South Rockwood is even in the coverage area of a local Downriver historical organization.

Oakland County is the same. People living in the heavily densely-populated southeast corner, adjoining the city of Detroit at some points, are most likely never to view Flint stations in their homes than those in the rural northwest corner that's actually within close commuting distance from Flint.

Washtenaw County...I imagine those in Chelsea and Manchester are likely the only ones who would be bound to watch Lansing stations. Then again, WLNS did have a translator in Ann Arbor at one point.

And the most confusing one is Livingston County. It's proximity to Lansing, Flint and including some of the outermost exurbs of Detroit creates some interesting viewing patterns.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic