Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Arthur Duncan

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Bobbert

Arthur Duncan

Post by Bobbert » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:29 am

Arthur Duncan, the tap dancer on the Lawrence Welk show, died on January 4 at the age of 97.

He was one of many great performers on that show, and came across as a very nice person in the interviews that public television included with re-runs of the show.

I guess that show is gone for good from the Detroit airwaves. It was always a fun, warm-hearted part of Saturday evening.

Trophyhead

Re: Arthur Duncan

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:50 pm

It still airs on WGVU in Grand Rapids Saturday evenings at 7 p.m, the station has a repeater in Kalamazoo as well.

I remember watching with my grandfather and father 45+ years ago, on in, but one would think it's of scant interest to most current PBS viewers.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:14 pm

People who liked Welk used to make the phones - and cash registers - ring at pledge time. Less and less true all the time. Public television still calls itself "non-commercial" but it's all about money, like anything else. Money from so called "underwriters" and money from station "members." For baby boomers, Welk was the show their grandparents watched. Maybe now that's why you have stations running clips from Ed Sullivan. Music for baby boomers plus an amusingly awkward host.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:41 pm

Delta Public TV used to carry reruns of Lawrence Welk.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic