Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is it a common practice....

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
fairbankshockeypuck

Is it a common practice....

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 am

For Low Power talk and sports FM's to turn off their stereo function? I know an ESPN station in Alaska does and says it cuts down on noise on the reception...Funny thing their promos says now on FM and in stereo....

Ben Zonia

Re: Is it a common practice....

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:05 pm

Very common practice.

It is to reduce the noise. It extends the distance you can get the station without all kinds of reception issues, especially in a car. For monaural programming, there's not much point in broadcasting in Stereo. In the old days, you could just push the Mono/Stereo button and it stayed there. In automating that function, there is the noisy switching back and forth, with weak, shadowed, and reflected signals.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:38 pm

Thanksssss

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am

WSAM in Saginaw used to turn off the AM stereo pilot when it broadcast Saginaw Generals/Hawks games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic