Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bad News For Radio Hobbyists

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Bad News For Radio Hobbyists

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 05, 2024 9:39 pm

MFJ Enterprises is is shutting down production this month.
MFJ Enterprises, Inc founder Martin F. Jue, K5FLU, announced that as of May 17, 2024, the company will cease on-site production at their Starkville, Mississippi, facility. Ameritron, Hy-Gain, Cushcraft, Mirage, and Vectronics brand products will be affected by the shutdown.
https://www.arrl.org/news/mfj-ceasing-o ... 20shutdown.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

HD74

Re: Bad News For Radio Hobbyists

Post by HD74 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm

That truly sucks. I have quite a bit of their gear. :o
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 06, 2024 8:56 pm

HD74 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm
That truly sucks. I have quite a bit of their gear. :o
I have some of their things too. I always liked their policy. Before you return something, try to fix it yourself. It won't void your warranty.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 pm

There was a story floated around a few years ago on the GM machine.

Some ham was in a nursing home and passed an old man tapping out CQ on a chair or table. When the ham answered back CQ, a family member asked what that was all about. If I remember it correctly, the old man had a stroke, and couldn't speak, but his fist was good. The family had no idea his tapping was trying to communicate by code. He could understand them fine.

That day the ham ordered a CPO from MFJ and told them what had happened. MFJ shipped the CPO overnight for free, and didn't even charge for the CPO.

Members of the family started learning code, and was able to communicate back and forth with the old man.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed May 08, 2024 7:34 pm

Looking around my Radio Room, I see 9 items made by MFJ, each over $100. Many smaller items, like atenna insularots and parts.
I once had a nice CW conversation with Martin Jue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic