Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FM reception in the southeast part of the US

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

FM reception in the southeast part of the US

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:29 am

It seems whenever I check out the dx tropo forecast, the southeast often looks something like this:

So what is reception like down there, particularly along the Gulf coast? Can stations from Texas be heard in Florida? Or any of the other 5 states that border the Gulf? Is the FM band often a mess?

ChrisWL1980

Re: FM reception in the southeast part of the US

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:01 pm

Someone posted a YouTube composite of various FM stations that could be picked up in the Tampa Bay area circa 1970. In that composite are a few from New Orleans.
Can't speak on what it's like today with a much more crowded FM dial, but on paper it's possible.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:38 pm

Although I'm no expert on the matter, signals over the water are going to go further.
I'll give you a good example. I can get into ham radio repeaters in Oregon Ohio better than I can in Monroe.
Although Monroe is only a third of the distance, Oregon is a clear shot over Lake Erie.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:55 am

Tropo propagation is usually made possible by temperature inversions. Given the usual summertime weather and climate over the Gulf of Mexico and along the U.S. gulf coast, it's not surprising that there will frequently be favorable conditions along the fronts in that area. Similar conditions can be found at certain times of the year along the Atlantic seaboard as well (although much of that in spring/summer is sporadic-E)..
And yes, signals always will travel nicely over open water without pesky buildings and trees and terrain in the way. I've driven in mid day along the NC Outer Banks listening to WCBS 880AM.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:04 pm

Listening to AM DX off the coast is more likely easier due to the lack of ground based, unintentional radiation interference from appliances and power infrastructure. I don't think MW signals get any tropo enhancement like VHF and UHF. :P

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:54 pm

When I spent a month in Babson Park, FL this past March, I was able to consistently pick up Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myers, and Orlando, and would occasionally pick up stations from as far away as Key West, the Redneck Riviera, far southern Georgia, and Dothan, AL

edj

Post by edj » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:26 pm

Biloxi was always a sweet spot for AM reception, even during the day.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:13 am

I've heard Jacksonville's 690 WAPE was widely listened to in the Carolinas back in the day. Yes, that's AM, but it still shows the power of that salt water. Not to mention directional signals heavily favoring the fish that live in said salt water.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:15 pm

I only have experience in South Florida, where most of the miami stations carry across alligator alley almost to the Naples area and vice versa. The two metros are roughly 125mi apart.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:58 pm

Something to consider ;
South Florida and the Gulf coast is pertty flat land with no hills or mountain ranges to block the line of sight!
When I was in the mid Fl Keys I could hear many steady FM signals from Miami (90 miles) and even a rare few Tampa/St Pete (200 Mi) stations intermittantly. I was just using my Telsun portable 880 with the 3 ft whip antenna.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm

I picked up WLW in downtown Plymouth back in the 90's.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm
I picked up WLW in downtown Plymouth back in the 90's.

AM (WLW) and FM have totally different kinds of propagation beyond the normal service areas.

AM radio (Medium wavelandth) can travel long distances via skywave where the signal hits the ionosphere hundreds of miles up and is bent back to Earth far from the transmitter. This happens at night when the "D" layer of the ionosphere , (that absorbs lower frequency RF) disappears.
FM radio (VHF) is normally hearable just beyond optical line-of-sight , but can hit tropospheric ducting caused by temperature inversions, Often hundreds of miles from the transmitter. RARELY it can be helped ;by the lower "E" layer of the ionosphere to maybe a thousand miles. (this is very rare).
Hearing Cincinnati in Lower michigan happens every night ! My best AMBC reception was hearing KFI in Los Angeles one night in Detroit.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:51 pm

I meant WWL, at 830am.

WLW isn't an extraordinary catch.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:40 pm

WWL is located at 870.

WCCO (Minneapolis) is located at 830.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:03 am

What we learn from TC's posts above... don't post on the buzzboard after spending all day with "Mary Jane" and Glenlivet.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic