Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ATSC 3.0 to analog TV converter box

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
paul8539

ATSC 3.0 to analog TV converter box

Post by paul8539 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:02 pm

I need a new converter box. One that will convert ATSC 3.0 to an analog TV signal. Input is rabbit ears and bow tie; output is to an older (1993) analog TV. My current converter box is just the digital converter I got back in 2009 when everybody went digital.

Does one exist yet? How much? Where can I get one?

bmw

Re: ATSC 3.0 to analog TV converter box

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:31 pm

There aren't any (yet) on the market that I'm aware of, and who knows if there ever will be. But there are a few set-top converter boxes that can receive ATSC 3.0 and output to HDMI. So presumably you could get one of those and then use an HDMI to either composite, component, or s-video adapter, and even then you'll need one that separately split the audio component of the HDMI signal to an analog output. All-in-all, probably a fairly expensive conversion.

SolarMax

Re: ATSC 3.0 to analog TV converter box

Post by SolarMax » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:30 pm

There'd be a lot of hoops to jump thru, what with cables and adaptors and converters to connect in order to display ATSC 3.0 (aka "NextGen TV") HD content on a vintage set. None of the technical features of 3.0 will be available for you to see or hear. Unless you're using that 1993 TV as some sort of demonstration piece, consider a more modern set, at least something with HDMI input. These are commodity items, you can probably get something usable nowadays at a Dollar Store or second hand. Would be less costly and more energy efficient. There are now a few sets with ATSC 3.0 tuners and demods, they'll be more available and cheaper at some point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic