Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Last Electronics Store

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
TC Talks

Last Electronics Store

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 10, 2023 10:47 pm

I stumbled across this and thought it might amuse someone...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

k8jd

Re: Last Electronics Store

Post by k8jd » Fri May 12, 2023 2:41 pm

Anything like it in MI >? I used to ride my bike to Bauers Industrial in old redford in Detroit ! Bought Xtals to use in my novice station from them..

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 pm

k8jd wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:41 pm
Anything like it in MI >? I used to ride my bike to Bauers Industrial in old redford in Detroit ! Bought Xtals to use in my novice station from them..
I only got to Bauer a few times before he closed up, I think in the late 80s-early 90s. It had that characteristic smell, like every old ham's basement, I think from the anti-corrosive treatment that all WWII gear apparently was dipped in. IIRC Mr. Bauer would sometimes load up a bunch of stuff from the building and set up a branch at local hamfests. This was back when one could build a halfway decent, working station with ARC-5s and the like. Silverstines was war surplus heaven but didn't specialize just in electronics. Lambrecht in East Detroit was sometimes good for a find and another spot downriver whose name I don't remember.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat May 13, 2023 7:23 am

k8jd wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:41 pm
I do know the Electronics Connection at Ford and Newburgh is still open.
I called there a couple weeks ago asking if they had something I was looking for. And they did. A zener for an Astron.
Worth the drive just to look around. LOTS of components.
Last edited by Round Six on Sat May 13, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat May 13, 2023 9:02 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 pm
.... another spot downriver whose name I don't remember.
You might be thinking about Hal's Electronics on Dix/Toledo in Southgate.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:50 am

Wow... this thread gets me wondering...

Silverstines ... where was this? I distinctly remember that name, and may have been there but don't recall where it was.

Lambrecht .... Was this the one on Gratiot just north of 10 mile? (that would put it in Roseville, but barely north of East Detroit).

Hal's Electronics .... is this still open?

Other than The Electronic Connections, what other electronics stores are still around? Is RS Electronics still in Livonia? Is Abel Electronics still in St Clair Shores?

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:50 am

Silverstines ... where was this? I distinctly remember that name, and may have been there but don't recall where it was.

Lambrecht .... Was this the one on Gratiot just north of 10 mile? (that would put it in Roseville, but barely north of East Detroit).

Other than The Electronic Connections, what other electronics stores are still around? Is RS Electronics still in Livonia? Is Abel Electronics still in St Clair Shores?
Silverstine's was on 6 Mile near Mt. Elliot.
Yes, Lambrect was on Gratiot/10 MI.

RS, formerly "Radio Specialties" was originally on Lyndon, near Meyers (by the WBFG tower). It wasn't quite as friendly a browsing environment as the others, though. When it moved to Livonia, it became more of a commercial than hobbyist supplier. You couldn't buy a loose capacitor or a resistor, you had buy a quantity (which became common practice).
One smaller spot not mentioned was Midway, in Ferndale, 8 MIle NE corner of Livernois. Small store but packed with stuff and electronics geek employees. And Herschel on Grand River/Southfield.
RSE, Duffy and Reno catered more to hams.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun May 14, 2023 3:36 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 am
km1125 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:50 am

Silverstine's was on 6 Mile near Mt. Elliot.
Yes, Lambrect was on Gratiot/10 MI.

RS, formerly "Radio Specialties" was originally on Lyndon, near Meyers (by the WBFG tower). It wasn't quite as friendly a browsing environment as the others, though. When it moved to Livonia, it became more of a commercial than hobbyist supplier. You couldn't buy a loose capacitor or a resistor, you had buy a quantity (which became common practice).
One smaller spot not mentioned was Midway, in Ferndale, 8 MIle NE corner of Livernois. Small store but packed with stuff and electronics geek employees. And Herschel on Grand River/Southfield.
RSE, Duffy and Reno catered more to hams.
Hal's has been closed at least 20 years. With the exception of RS, I've never heard of any of the others you two have mentioned.

Never was at the main RS in Livonia. They had a store in Wyandotte for about 10 years. Was in there many times. Like solar max said, you couldn't walk around. It was a front counter thing.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Anyone remember 'The Electronics Parts Company' (EPCO) in Allen Park on the west side of Roosevelt Road, south of Southfield, well north of Ecorse, along the railroad tracks?

My high school electronics teacher arranged a discount for his students there.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue May 16, 2023 10:04 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm
Anyone remember 'The Electronics Parts Company' (EPCO) in Allen Park on the west side of Roosevelt Road, south of Southfield, well north of Ecorse, along the railroad tracks?

My high school electronics teacher arranged a discount for his students there.
Funny I don't remember that place.
I was on a league at Roosevelt for a couple of years. Seems I would of remembered a place across the street with the word Electronics.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 pm

I recall a green building, but that is a 50 year old plus recollection and likely faulty.

It was north of where the fire department is, not too awfully south of Southfield.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue May 16, 2023 9:25 pm

Just called Bernie at the Electronic Connection....he said EPCO was owned by a guy named Hollowecki. Bernie had never visited, but said that he recalls it in Allen Park.

He mentioned MN Duffy near Cass Tech, Reno Radio on Broadway in Detroit, and Wiedemeiers and Purchase Radio in Ann Arbor. He used to work for Lafayette.

Electronic Connection is for sale, but I think it would be tough way to make a living.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Maybe they might invest in a few things:

Website, Google listing, anything... This came up:

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue May 16, 2023 10:05 pm

I could spend all day in Electronic Connection, but I always feel surveilled and monitored in there, like I’m known to steal or something. Too bad because everything in there gets my nerd motor running.

I used to love going to Purchase Radio when I was discovering my fascination for antique radios in the late 90’s and early 00’s before they closed. Always nice guys in there, full of info and stories.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 17, 2023 9:12 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:05 pm
.... I used to love going to Purchase Radio when I was discovering my fascination for antique radios in the late 90’s and early 00’s before they closed. Always nice guys in there, full of info and stories.
Was only in there once, and didn't wander around. Went up to the counter, asked if they sold G5RV's, bought one and walked out. Seems it was an "on the whim" thing while I was going to or from somewhere else. Pretty sure it was a year or two before they closed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic