Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If ATSC 3.0 broadcasts pack 50 radio stations in one TV channel, I’m all ears

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
n8fnr

If ATSC 3.0 broadcasts pack 50 radio stations in one TV channel, I’m all ears

Post by n8fnr » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:42 am

https://www.techradar.com/news/if-atsc- ... m-all-ears

TV could be the next radio wave.

In a recent Radio World interview with Mark Aitken of Sinclair Broadcast Group subsidiary ONE Media Systems, the company president detailed a radio-over-ATSC 3.0 delivery proof-of-concept that it plans to present at the upcoming NAB show. 

Ben Zonia

Re: If ATSC 3.0 broadcasts pack 50 radio stations in one TV channel, I’m all ears

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:18 pm

Problem is, it's likely to be on UHF, and without a lot of oversampling, it's likely to not be good in a moving car. Also, a lot of shadowing from hills, trees, and buildings. The service area is likely limited by the curvature of the earth. For a stationary receiver in a strong signal area close to the transmitter, OK. Service area would be nowhere near that of a powerful or low dial position AM BC station.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

k8jd

Re: If ATSC 3.0 broadcasts pack 50 radio stations in one TV channel, I’m all ears

Post by k8jd » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:26 pm

FM ;subchannels are bad enough!
So, when driving around Oakland county lake areas, the main FM stereo HD channel just goes mono, but the "subchannels" Just go dead silent if the signal level drops much.
That's VHF and UHF is sure to be worse for loosing signals when moving.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic