Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mini DXpedition

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Mini DXpedition

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:45 pm

Every fall I pick a day and head out into the country for a few hours to do some DXing on the short wave bands. I call it my Mini DXpedition. I take along a radio or two and some wire for erecting an antenna I go to the same location every year. It's a conservation area, about 35 miles from the city, about ten miles inland from Lake Huron. The area is perfect. There are no power lines or any other source of man made noise around. There are trees around so I can get an antenna up off the ground.

It's becoming a little more of a challenge every year, because, one by one, the big international broadcasters are shutting down. On the plus side, we're into a new solar cycle now and the solar activity is a little more robust than it has been for the past couple of years.

I always pick a day in early November, after we have reverted to standard time. This allows me to take advantage of the earlier darkness. I arrive there around 4:00 PM. This gives me enough time to get set up before it gets dark. I stay there for 4 or 5 hours

The day I've picked for this year is Monday, Nov 7. The weather can be unreliable in November, but in all the years years I've been doing it, I've never had bad weather. Indeed, on one or two occasions, it's been balmy, Indian summer weather.

I'm preparing for it now and I'll post the results of anything worthwhile.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Re: Mini DXpedition

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Cool!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:55 pm

I shoud do that sometime, and set up my new IC7300 in the car and drive up the lakeshore, maybe to the campground north of Port Huron.
Maybe the picnic site is better for less overhead wire and noise.
I have watched the bandwidth of AMBC signals on the band monitor scope ! Lots of fun,
but never been away from the house with it !

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:12 pm

Radio Slovakia Intl. 5850 KHX

CFRX 6070 KHZ

Gander Air Radio 6604 KHZ USB

US Coast Guard Norfolk VA 6501 KHZ USB

REE Madrid 9690 KHZ

R Tirana Albania 5850 KHZ

Voice of Turkey 5960 KHZ

Trenton Military (Aeronautical WX) 6754 KHZ USB

WRMI Miami 9395 KHZ

Radio Romania INTL 7325 KHZ

R Thailand 13750 KHZ

Radio Havana 6000 KHZ

Long Wave Beacons

278 KHZ – ADG Adrian MI (25W)

332 KHZ – PH Port Huron MI (25W)

353 KHZ – QG Windsor ON (400 W)

419 KHZ – RYS Detroit MI )25 W)

Aeronautical

8918.1 KHZ USB
New York Radio working Delta 1969

Then

Working Jet Blue 2404

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic