Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

BBC once again broadcasting on Shortwave to Europe for first time in 14 years

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
bmw

BBC once again broadcasting on Shortwave to Europe for first time in 14 years

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:46 pm

...specifically, to Ukraine.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... of-russia/

I can't help but wonder what other interesting transmissions there may be on shortwave frequencies right now in that region.

Turkeytop

Re: BBC once again broadcasting on Shortwave to Europe for first time in 14 years

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:48 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:46 pm
...specifically, to Ukraine.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... of-russia/

I can't help but wonder what other interesting transmissions there may be on shortwave frequencies right now in that region.

Here in the Tampa Bay area, I've been enjoying armchair quality listening of BBC every night on 6195 KHZ, 0300 TO 0400.

The XMTR is in the mid east beamed toward eastern Europe. But we get a strong signal off the back of the antenna down this way.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15130

Re: BBC once again broadcasting on Shortwave to Europe for first time in 14 years

Post by Deleted User 15130 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am

too bad we trashed our VOA facilities in Bethany, Dixon and Delano (possibly Greenville?)

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm

WA8RYE, My Screen Name on this board is Ben Zonia. I'll PM later. I have a jam packed afternoon, not the least of which are filling our gas tank and buying groceries before the prices go way up again.

I guess they could commandeer some of the private SW International Broadcasters like they did with WLW at Bethany during WW II. Maybe you could help redesign the DAs so they serve Europe instead of Canada!

Feel free to PM your email and phone also.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:15 pm

WA8RYE wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am
too bad we trashed our VOA facilities in Bethany, Dixon and Delano (possibly Greenville?)

Now that Putin has quashed all independent news outlets in Russia, International short wave broadcasts have never been more needed.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:11 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:15 pm
WA8RYE wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am
Now that Putin has quashed all independent news outlets in Russia, International short wave broadcasts have never been more needed.
I imagine that Putin will eventually have the Soviet-era jammers back in operation.

Didn't have any luck picking up BBC on 6195, 0300 GMT.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:02 pm

WC8KCY wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:11 pm

I imagine that Putin will eventually have the Soviet-era jammers back in operation.

Didn't have any luck picking up BBC on 6195, 0300 GMT.
Putin won't need the jammers. There's nothing left to jam.

Down here in the south-east, BBC is pounding in solid every night on 6195 KHZ.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:35 am

Oddly enough, my strongest shortwave signal up here in Metro Detroit comes from Radio Marti, which is the U.S. government audio service aimed toward Cuban and certain Latin America audiences.

I have an analog tuner; looks like it broadcasts somewhere near 12 MHz.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:03 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:35 am
Oddly enough, my strongest shortwave signal up here in Metro Detroit comes from Radio Marti, which is the U.S. government audio service aimed toward Cuban and certain Latin America audiences.

I have an analog tuner; looks like it broadcasts somewhere near 12 MHz.

Up at home I always get Radio Marti on 6030 KHZ, just up the dial from Radio Havana on 6000 KHZ. Here in Florida, I don't get either of them very well.

Deleted User 15130

Post by Deleted User 15130 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm
WA8RYE, My Screen Name on this board is Ben Zonia. I'll PM later. I have a jam packed afternoon, not the least of which are filling our gas tank and buying groceries before the prices go way up again.

I guess they could commandeer some of the private SW International Broadcasters like they did with WLW at Bethany during WW II. Maybe you could help redesign the DAs so they serve Europe instead of Canada!

Feel free to PM your email and phone also.

let me know if you get this reply; im having issues with PM'g

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am

Here in the Tampa Bay area, our local NPR radio station, WUSF has just started broadcasting a feed from BBC World Service, every night from midnight to 5:00 AM.

This replaces an all night jazz program that has been there since year dot.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:53 pm

WBCQ Shortwave Rotatable Antenna. WBCQ has 500 kW transmitter(s).

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-bus ... ay-antenna

Pictures of antenna.

https://swling.com/blog/tag/wbcq-the-planet/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am
Here in the Tampa Bay area, our local NPR radio station, WUSF has just started broadcasting a feed from BBC World Service, every night from midnight to 5:00 AM.

This replaces an all night jazz program that has been there since year dot.
Here in northern Michigan, NPR News stations WICA/WLMN broadcast the BBC World Service from 10PM to 6AM, and also carry the BBC NewsHour programme at 9AM.

Not having any luck picking up BBC on SW when it's not being broadcast locally, I just resurrected a long-unused Android 4.3 smartphone to stream BBC World Service to my kitchen/office radio. It works flawlessly, but it's just not the same as listening to the crackly, fade-in-and-out SW signals that generations of people around the globe relied upon.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:43 pm

The WBCQ curtain array reminds me of a giant Finco Bedspring TV antenna, which makes sense because that was supposed to cover 54-88, 174-216, and 470-890 MHz, and the WBCQ array was designed to cover 6-26 MHz with different components of the array.

-Author Unknown

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm

It's really sad that the IBU (I think) has banned shortwave broadcasters from any waveform other than horizontal polarization.

Sometime about 2000, Radio Netherlands was broadcasting in what they called compatible single sideband (upper sideband with carrier).

It was far better than double-sideband AM.

I've also seen the effects of analog television during events of Sporadic-E openings. Signal levels were more stable when a distant TV station was using circular polarization.

Lord knows that FM stations have preferred CP for decades.

I believe that such a signal could result in real improvement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic