Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CB Skip...it's Back

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
WOHO

Re: CB Skip...it's Back

Post by WOHO » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Yes, they left out if you should use the Zenith FM stereo standard for the jugheads / lids that used 11 meters as their own personal broadcast station for horrible music!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:11 pm
..... Another potential issue is bleed-over to adjacent channels, as FM transmissions require more bandwidth. The channel spacing was originally allocated for low-bandwidth AM transmission ....
I may need a refresher. I always thought that AM was a wide signal. I did a little googling. Couldn't ascertain just what the deviation is on AM CB. I was also unable to find what deviation FM on CB will be. Seems I read it will be 12.5 KHz but I can't prove it right now.
In what is considered good engineering practice, the most desirable deviation of the frequency of an AM transmission is zero.

AM will be more effective with weaker signals than narrowband FM, but FM has another benefit - if FM CB becomes widely adopted, there will be far fewer complaints about CB radio transmissions, because of how receivers work.

Ever since the CB fad exploded in the middle 1970s, people have had to deal with strong signals in their localities. The most common complaint is the envelope-modulated signal tends to cause overload interference in nearby radios.

With FM CB, there will be little overload between FM CB radios and commonly-used receivers (radio and TV sets) in homes.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 am

It's true that FM has shorter range than AM, reducing or eliminating the incentive for FM operators to "talk skip" with high-power amplifiers. It will just be a matter of avoiding channels where that activity is prevalent. Fortunately there's just a month or two of the year when propagation conducts it. The big challenge IMO will be marketing the perks of CB over bubble-pack UHF radios that have flourished in the market for 20+ years. The price points of these new CB's will need to be somewhat competitive with what's already out there, and they'll have to gain some prominent shelf space, especially for the handheld units. Right now the only place I see CB radios is on a side shelf in the automotive department, and it's usually just one or two mobile vehicle models. I suspect the initial push will be to get the new FM mobile units into truck stops, and the handheld units into sporting goods stores where they would have the most appeal. Big Box retailers would be the next step depending on initial sales.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic