Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

School Construction Halted Due to RF Field From Nearby XMTR

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

School Construction Halted Due to RF Field From Nearby XMTR

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:05 pm

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

k8jd

Re: School Construction Halted Due to RF Field From Nearby XMTR

Post by k8jd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Reminds me of folks who bought nice new houses in Romulus (MI) and then wanted the airport (DTW) closed because the aircraft were too noisy.

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 am

The Oakville, Ontario news article linked in the OP reports "...Miller told trustees that the consultants found mitigation would be “immensely expensive” and not certain to be successful. He added that the school’s three storey design was particularly problematic. “The higher up you go, the greater the interference, he said."

But the concept about 'the higher up you go, the greater the interference' is not supported by the Physics of this situation, and appears to be based on propagation characteristics of the much shorter wavelengths used by FM and TV broadcast stations, rather than by a nearby AM radio station.

The graphic below shows some of the details that may apply to this set of conditions. Notice that the field intensity from the nearby AM station at the range of the proposed building project is maximum at the surface of the Earth, and less at elevations above Earth.

If interference was going to be an issue on any of the floors of a new building located at that site, quite likely it would be an issue already on the floors of the present buildings on that site (about which the consultants did not comment).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 am

If this link doesn't work to show you the four tower parallelogram, click "View Towers" and "Open Street Map".

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=CJ ... d=&lang=en

All of of these locations are near the intersection of Provincial Routes 4 and 5.

When I saw "Fortino's Market" advertised and shown on the map, I was confused. I thought it was a Mom and Pop store in Swartz Creek, MI.

Some of the 50 kW Toronto AM transmitters are also near there.

I think this may be some type of backhanded NIMBY action or other motive about the school location. Maybe somebody else wants the land? Just speculation. There's a large shopping center nearby.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bosco

Post by bosco » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 pm

If this was in the US, it would be easier and cheaper for the school board to buy the Am and shut it down!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:59 pm

k8jd wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm
Reminds me of folks who bought nice new houses in Romulus (MI) and then wanted the airport (DTW) closed because the aircraft were too noisy.
Back in the late 70's, some of Romulus Township's trustees wanted to change zoning so that there would be no more new residential within the township.
(I say township because if I remember right, Romulus wasn't a city yet).
It didn't go well. I can't remember if the rest of the board was against it, or some developer threatened to sue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic