Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Partial daytime AM Band Scan during power outage in Tawas City

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd

Re: Partial daytime AM Band Scan during power outage in Tawas City

Post by k8jd » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 pm

kc8yqq wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:28 am
matt1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 pm
I still can hear AM 630 CFCO Country station (Chatham, Ontario) in Sanford, MI!!!!
When I worked in Niles, MI, I would get CFCO in stereo in the morning in Three Rivers. Shortly west of there, they would drop out. At that point, I would switch over to WGTO 910 (Cassopolis) and listen to oldies in stereo.
CFCO is another 5 tower array, most signal to the south is reduced, in the daylight and large lobes north, east and west.
At night there is a large lobe north and a small one south.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:11 pm

CFCO Day Pattern. All three lobes are close to the same size. The one to the North is strongest, the lobe to the West is a close second.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm

For much of my life, I lived about 160 miles north east of Chatham. CFCO ponds in like a local up there.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:52 am
CKLW hasn't had a very good signal to the Northwest in 40 years or more. There are different theories as to why that is. Some say the the pattern was officially changed at some point from what it was in the late 1940s, when they went from 5 kW nondirectional to 50 kW directional. They were 5 kW nondirectional on 1030 before they moved to 800 in a BIG NARBA reallocation in 1941. Most stations just moved 0 kHz to 30 kHz higher. Some speculate that the pattern was let out during the Big 8 years, and it wasn't ever supposed to be that good of a signal to the Northwest. The overlap with WSGW is HUQE, and always has been. The CKLW nulls were designed to be the close equivalent of the old 5 kW nondirectional levels.
I wonder if the CRTC had CKLW tighten its northwest null to allow for the construction of CBQ in Thunder Bay.

I do remember that while I was living in the far east side of Detroit, CKLW was absolutely booming.

After we moved to the far west side of Detroit, I noticed it was significantly weaker.

A wild guess is that I had about 10 mV/m at my west side house. Probably 40 mV/m on the East Side.

One night on the East Side, I found that CKLW was airing a dead carrier. I turned the volume to maximum and logged PJB.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 am

I used to be able to hear PJB well with a GE SuperRadio 3. that had a large loopstick antenna in it , Maybe 7 or 9 inches long.
Could totally null out CKLW !
and nulling out WJR I could hear the Toronto 740 and Atlanta WSB 750 stations and WABC on 770 very clearly,. ETC...ETC

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am

CKLW was measured about 30 years ago near Lakeside Mall to be 18 mV/m Day and 23 mV/m Night. The Northern lobe swings back some from NNE toward North at Night. It is observably better in Flint at Night than Day in the Flint Area, although there is usually extensive fading.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Rich F.

Post by Rich F. » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:47 am

Below are the daytime groundwave field intensity contours for CKLW, and also for some of its nearby, co-channel neighbors. FCC data is used for the licensed, daytime radiation patterns and ERPs of all of these stations.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 am

Here's the QSL Card they used to send out 40 years ago. The 0.5 mV/m extends almost to Grand Rapids on it.

I used to hear people listening to CKLW 800 on the beach at Harrisville State Park in the 1970s

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 am

BTW, the worldwide conductivity maps I found online (inaccurate in many areas) show the entire Great Lakes as having a conductivity of 10 mS/m. In the past, where there was/is ionic effluent near the shoreline (Lake Erie shows 20 or more near the shore on the Environmental Protection monitoring sites. They use that as evidence of pollution. Also similar evidence near Gary and Chicago, where WIND crosses Lake Michigan. Pure distilled water and spring fed lakes have conductivity of around 1 mS/m.). According to Colonel Flagg, the late great Glen Clark did Proof of Performance measurements for WWJ on an inflatable dinghy in Lake Erie. Wish we could see those proofs. Proofs are not online unless they recently used them in another application.

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 pm

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the conductivity of water. The following links are a maze of incompatible units which require pencil and paper to convert them, and you have to recognize some out and out serious conversion errors in order to make sense of them. This is partly due to the incongruity of Environmental Science and Electrical Engineering. Then there is a continuum from distilled deionized water to spring water to city water to Great Lakes water to ionically polluted lakes, rivers, and streams to ocean water. The range is from almost zero to 5000 mS/m for sea water. Personally, I still prefer mhos because the newer term sounds embarrassing in public.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf- ... lled+water

-Author Unknown

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:35 am

matt1 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:12 pm
I still can hear AM 630 CFCO Country station (Chatham, Ontario) in Sanford, MI!!!!
I've heard them at the Mackinac Bridge in the daytime.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic