Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Misuse of Ham Radio

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Misuse of Ham Radio

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:47 pm

I've heard reports that ham operators were among the Jan 6 terrorists and that they were using their hand held radios for communications.

I sure hope this is untrue. Seem more likely to me, they were unlicensed operators who just got their hands on some ham gear.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Re: Misuse of Ham Radio

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:05 pm

The Capitol insurgents were carrying radios capable of being programmed for ham radio frequencies. Literally every two-way radio used by any business or government is capable to be programmed for ham radio frequencies.

Don't confuse the Beofengs that preppers carry around as ham radios. OPP radios, and the radio you used to carry at work, could be programmed to talk on ham radio. That don't make it a ham radio.

Those $30 radios can talk on ham, marine, FRS, school bus channels, just about anywhere. I'm sure the insurgents were not using ham radio frequencies to converse.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:09 pm

There were some stories a few years ago that certain people connected to US espionage agencies were talking to unfriendly European countries using high frequency bands and digitally coded communications. They weren't Trump supporters.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:35 pm

The FCC has felt it necessary to issue an "Enforcement Advisory":
Radio Users Reminded Not to Use Radios in Crimes

Not anything new, but a reminder, prompted by recent events, that existing rules for the Amateur and Personal Radio Services provide severe penalties for use of equipment and frequencies under FCC regulations in commission of illegal activities. So, if some of these d-bag's selfies from the Capitol also show them using their Baofengs, that's just another thing to add to a stack of charges.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Note that the FCC recognizes in this memo that the First Amendment and The Constitution still exist, and that just talking about unpopular political topics is NOT A CRIME. It warns against using radios to COMMIT CRIMES. Since very few of the Trump supporters were actually involved in actions that have been PROVEN to be illegal, and it will take courts and juries to establish that any particular person WAS, unless the communications were otherwise illegal, like using licensed bands by unlicensed individuals or at forbidden power levels, it wasn't a crime to use the radios. This doesn't mean that you can turn in free speech you hear on amateur bands which is not illegal, and run screaming to the FCC like Gladys Kravitz.

They might want to investigate, for instance, whether various intelligence agencies broke these laws and were used in the promulgation of the Steele Dossier, which was proven to be false.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 pm

A Disclaimer
ANYONE can legally pruchase and use a GMRS or FRs channelled handheld radio . ANYONE can look at this and think it's "ham radio". :evil:
Those handhelds used were PROBABLY Not the ones made for amateur radio operation, they were more likely the inexpensive FRS/GMRS radios. (almost "burners" that you throw in the trash when running away from the riot).
The radios I refer to are low power but effective and easy to use to talk a mile or more in unobstructed paths.
The Idiots that indulge in violent and destructive public disturbance probably don't have the patience or knowledge to pass an exam for amateur radio licenses.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:47 am

Most people in the journalism business don't even know what ham radio is. They think it's just like CB.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:14 pm

k8jd wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 pm
A Disclaimer
ANYONE can legally pruchase and use a GMRS or FRs channelled handheld radio . ANYONE can look at this and think it's "ham radio". :evil:
Those handhelds used were PROBABLY Not the ones made for amateur radio operation, they were more likely the inexpensive FRS/GMRS radios. (almost "burners" that you throw in the trash when running away from the riot).
The radios I refer to are low power but effective and easy to use to talk a mile or more in unobstructed paths.
The Idiots that indulge in violent and destructive public disturbance probably don't have the patience or knowledge to pass an exam for amateur radio licenses.
About 10 years ago, inexpensive, make that. VERY inexpensive, two-way handheld transceivers, made in PRC, poured in to the US by the millions, with none of the frequency restrictions that manufacturers in which Japan had wisely left out transmit capabilities, and distributors flooded the market with. This has turned VHF and UHF communications into a free-for-all, now chaos rules.

EDIT:
I would be willing to bet that the Trumpist insurgents using their Anytones and Baofengs in the Capitol have never heard of Amateur Radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic