Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A little help with plugging away

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Mark Schirripa

A little help with plugging away

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:35 am

I ordered two of these cords with plugs:

VGA/HD15 Male Plug 15 pin to 3 RCA Audio AV Cable Adapter for HDTV PC DVD

I have a picture of it but I am not strong on these types of computer skills and am having trouble showing the picture here.

The first cord didn't do what I thought it would do so I ordered a second cord. My goal was to connect my laptop computer to my 30-year-old Sony TV. Neither cord connected.

So now I have two cords at about $13 each. Should I just keep them? Is there any use for these?

I would appreciate any help...either with deciding if there is a use for them or on how to post the image.

Thank you.

km1125

Re: A little help with plugging away

Post by km1125 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:11 pm

One big issue you'd have is the video card settings would have to be compatible with what the TV could display. If it's 30 years old, I'm guessing it's just NTSC (525 lines, 59.94 frame rate). Most card probably default to something much higher nowadays. I think the VGA standard would handle up to 2048 lines.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I got a converter box so I could plug my old Nintendo game into the HDMI input on a "Modern" TV receiver ! My grown sons still love to play the Zelda games when we get together !!
Are you trying to do something like that ?

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:45 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same. I just want to watch youtube videos on my TV. And I'm trying to decide whether the cables (cords with plugs) that I now have are worth keeping.
Last edited by Mark Schirripa on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 pm

You can also get cheap downconverters that will take an HDMI and convert it to either component video or composite video.

Putting a PC screen on an old TV might have disappointing results. You will not get the resolution or the response you need to see text or detail very well. It would be fine for streaming video though.

EDIT: just saw your update. Yes, would be fine with youtubes. Does your laptop have more than one video output? Can you set the video to have two different output with different resolutions? Some PCs/laptops can do that and some can't. Rightclick on the desktop and see if you can go to "graphic options" or "graphic properties" and see what options you have.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Here is a link to the image (below). I just don't know how to make the actual picture appear here.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1000_.jpg

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:56 pm

It also might be easier to setup if you can use or borrow an RGB monitor to hook up first. Get that working with the right resolutions that the TV can support, then try and use the cable to the TV.

That yellow/red/white should result in a composite video on the yellow, and the left and right audio signals in the red and white connectors. Composite video (for the TV) should be a standard 525 line signal.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Mark Schirripa wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm
Here is a link to the image (below). I just don't know how to make the actual picture appear here.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 pm

Hey! Thanks for the photo assist. I'm trying to find a use for this. Has anyone a suggestion or should I just return them? Please keep in mind that I'm just a regular guy so I have limited technical needs.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Mark Schirripa wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 pm
Hey! Thanks for the photo assist. I'm trying to find a use for this. Has anyone a suggestion or should I just return them? Please keep in mind that I'm just a regular guy so I have limited technical needs.

It might come in handy for tying down the trunk lid when you have a big load.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:36 pm

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Mark Schirripa wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:36 pm
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Hey, I was being facetious. My technical knowledge is probably less than yours. I have no idea what that cable is for. :razz

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Looks like a VGA video to old style stereo audio and composite video outputs.
Some things in computer video tech have changed from year to year leaving a lot of fine equipment in the scrap heap or Parts bin.

Mark Schirripa

Post by Mark Schirripa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 pm

k8jd wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Looks like a VGA video to old style stereo audio and composite video outputs.
Some things in computer video tech have changed from year to year leaving a lot of fine equipment in the scrap heap or Parts bin.
I guess that's where mine will end up. Nobody seems to know of any use for them.

djb

Post by djb » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 am

What you have here is a cable that splits the analog VGA signal pins of Red, Green, and Blue to individual connectors. These would get attached to a device that would accept RGB (professional NTSC monitor, video recorder (think BNC jacks), etc - most notably used these days in projectors). The description is a bit misleading as "AV Cable", as VGA does not transport audio.

A conversion needs to take place to take the RGB plus Sync signals from VGA and "combine" them into "Composite" signals (Standard yellow RCA (video) jack).

What you really need is a VGA to Composite converter. (https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Res ... B001NXDQEK).

If your TV has COMPONENT inputs (Separate Red/Green/Blue for DVD players) - this might work; though I would believe you'd experience sync issues with this method.

If it's an older NTSC TV; you'll need your PC at 640x480 resolution for the best experience.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic