Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Where's Art Bell When You Need Him?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Where's Art Bell When You Need Him?

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 pm

What happened here?

Was this spontaneous or sabotage or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eenw0p1 ... e=emb_logo

BTW, FOR THE THREAD TOPIC POLICE, THIS IS A PARABOLIC DISH ANTENNA. The parabolic reflector is/was 1000 feet in diameter. The bulk of what collapsed is the DRIVEN ELEMENT(S) of the antenna, placed at and near the FOCUS distance of the parabolic reflector. All the other stuff is/was there to support the antenna/driven element around the focus of the parabolic reflector.

Much of the advances in Radio Astronomy have been made with this Radiotelescope.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14896

Re: Where's Art Bell When You Need Him?

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:38 pm

Several months back, one of the cables supporting the instrument broke. I guess the strain was too great for the remaining cables.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03421-y

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 pm

I cant imagine Astronmers crawling around on that rickety looking bridge, let alone Michigan native John Kraus (W8JK), one of the major forces in the development of Radio Astronomy.

Interferometers are basically another form of radio antennas used in Radio Astronomy. You can build a basic interferometer for FM DX with two FM beams separated by a few wavelengths. They don't need to be in an exact orientation to work, and you can use a Rembrandt antenna switch to introduce phase and ratio changes. Just turning the Rembrandt switch can give you two or three closer by cochannel stations.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Classic Rembrandt Rabbit Ears and Antenna Switch.

-Author Unknown

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:12 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:01 pm
Classic Rembrandt Rabbit Ears and Antenna Switch.

Mega LOL!

When my parents bought their first color TV set (RCA CTC-38 chassis) in 1969, the dealer also sold them this same antenna!

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:27 pm

There was prior damage to the mesh screen that made up the parabolic reflector, both from age and from recent years' hurricanes. There was already talk of decommissioning the site because of H*** repair costs. The supports and suspension cabling for the focal point antenna array were seen to be deteriorating as well, but the failure of the support towers was apparently not expected so soon.
Art Bell, W6OBB, would have been saddened, but, as one given to scientific thought and logical analysis of facts, doubtful he would have bought into any conspiracy nuttiness about this.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:15 pm

Where's Art Bell when you need him- we need him NOW to debunk riots and the "cannibal Democratic DC Pizza Parlor Biden baby sandwich" conspiracy BS theories! Well, at least I think they're BS...Art...CQ W6OBB...

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

George Noory has turned boring and nutty. The alternative medicine peddling, political conspiracies, poor interviews, and all the nonsense was making C2CAM unlistenable for me. I'm not opposed to a little craziness, that's the essence of the show, but this became too out in left field for me.

I used to listen frequently, going back to the Art Bell days. Now I only listen when George Knapp hosts.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm
George Noory has turned boring and nutty. The alternative medicine peddling, political conspiracies, poor interviews, and all the nonsense was making C2CAM unlistenable for me. I'm not opposed to a little craziness, that's the essence of the show, but this became too out in left field for me.

I used to listen frequently, going back to the Art Bell days. Now I only listen when George Knapp hosts.
I can't stand Noory, he's more obsequious and pandering than ever. He's putting his "brand" on CBD products, prepper supplies, beet-based supplements, and booga-booga TV shows.

George Knapp is usually at least fun to listen to. He's an actual reporter with Vegas showbiz flair.
I also like Ian Punnett, who brings thoughtfulness and intelligence to his inverviews, à la Bell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic