Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Environment Canada to end weather radio.

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Re: Environment Canada to end weather radio.

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 am

Their assumption is that everybody has a cell phone and everybody has access to the Internet everywhere.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 am
How can we convince Environment Canada is pennywise/poundfoolish to decommission the VHF WX radio system? That's like dumping all the VOR for aircraft because "they can use GPS" - yeah, until GPS doesn't work, then WTF do you do? Same for cell systems overloading during a weather emergency- I didn't get the text alert until it made it thru a buffer 1 hour after the warning. Sorry, but 162MHz VHF-FM is very reliable, especially with a backup generator and 2nd audio feed that isn't a 1967 POTS phone line (like KEC-63 in Southfield).
we can email them and tell them that this proposal is stupid... 1-877-789-7733 or ec.radio.ec@canada.ca

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:53 pm

In remote areas, on the water, or big commercial buildings (especially largely windowless ones) - I do see value in the service.

On the Great Lakes, cell reception is difficult if you are, say, more than 10 miles offshore.

The irony is - some substantial gaps in Lake Huron and even Lake St. Clair NOAA weather radio coverage do exist; this is especially true on the "open waters". I never understood why a transmitter wasn't placed in the Algonac or Marine City areas, for example.

In terms of the Canadian version of the service, are instant warning alerts offered? Do dormant radios automatically turn on like they do here in the U.S. ?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:53 pm
In remote areas, on the water, or big commercial buildings (especially largely windowless ones) - I do see value in the service.

On the Great Lakes, cell reception is difficult if you are, say, more than 10 miles offshore.

The irony is - some substantial gaps in Lake Huron and even Lake St. Clair NOAA weather radio coverage do exist; this is especially true on the "open waters". I never understood why a transmitter wasn't placed in the Algonac or Marine City areas, for example.

In terms of the Canadian version of the service, are instant warning alerts offered? Do dormant radios automatically turn on like they do here in the U.S. ?
Environment Canada does issue weather alerts. I have a weather radio in Florida that comes awake during an alert, but I've never brought it home to try it here.

My scanner here has a function where you can set it to listen for weather alerts. It has come on a few times over this summer.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:58 pm

162.475 out of Windsor has been dormant for awhile now. At least for me.....

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:32 am

Agreed.

When I lived in Warren and still had a scanner radio (that I would crack out only on rare occasion since it was strictly analog), I never was able to pick up a Windsor broadcast on 162.475 MHz.

I think that station has been out of service for many years.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 am

In the city, I am copying Environment Canada WX on 162.475MHz with a handheld scanner, in the basement. Of course, much more solid on the ham rig RX/outdoor antenna.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:13 pm

3rd day of October, no signal at all on 162.475 here . Using outdoor co-linear ant about 25 ft AGL. 28.2 miles NorthWest of the RenCen, downtown Detroit. Propagation is pertty flat today so not hearing Sandusky or Mt Morlris either now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic