Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AM reception question

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Re: AM reception question

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Big Signal wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 am
When I'm down in Florida during the winter and I want to keep up on local news here, I listen to WWJ on my smart phone blue toothed into my car. No buzz there LOL :D
When I'm in Florida for the winter, I listen to real radio on a real radio.

WUFS

WMNF

WDUV

Radio Havana

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm
Big Signal wrote:
When I'm down in Florida during the winter and I want to keep up on local news here, I listen to WWJ on my smart phone blue toothed into my car. No buzz there LOL :D

WUFS

WMNF

WDUV

Radio Havana

Now that’s what radio is for “Radio Havana” Castro’s greatest hits of all time. Why that makes me want to get rid of internet radio. :rollin
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm

When I moved to southwest Florida in 1980, Radio Havana was by far the loudest signal on the AM dial. I remember them referring to themselves as Radio Moscow, sometimes ending segments by saying "This is Moscow".

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:39 am

Vic, have you tried an external antenna for AM on your SuperRadio? I have a Terk AM Advantage tunable loop antenna and it can often reduce or even eliminate static.

One static-related oddity I've experienced is that after properly grounding my AM antenna setup, it picked up more static than before.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 pm

Using the GE Superradio to listen to a local station is like taking a Grand Prix racer to Kroger for a gallon of milk and a loaf of white bread ! :x
I took my Superradio 3 to Hawaii and listened to AM stations on the West coast of N America and in Australia, and many broadcasts in languages in Asia that I could not Identify, and one in American Samoa ! We are talking a few thousand miles in every direction !.
When I go camping up north < I can hear FM stations 300 miles plus on most days. That is what that radio is made for ! :D
As For the noise from fluorescent lights, that is a byproduct of poor engineering and no concept of radio frequency energy. Dump the old fluorescent fixtures and put in the LED version of those long fixtures. I did that in my garage with one fixture and it was so Bright AND RF QUIET that I went back and got three more. Now my dark garage can be like daylight when I need to find something out there !!!
I can also listen to WWJ on an old AM radio in there. :shock:

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Big Signal wrote:

WUFS

WMNF

WDUV

Radio Havana

Now that’s what radio is for “Radio Havana” Castro’s greatest hits of all time. Why that makes my want to get rid of internet radio. :rollin
Here you go:

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 am

The FCC is trying to free up spectrum not have something like AM radio move to some digital frequency.

Think about trying repurpose 530 to 1710. Not going to happen. Everyone has radios to listen to what is on there.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am

I had a Grundig 750 about 10 years ago. Wayyy too much imaging and interference from other electronics. Pathetic. It got returned.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am
Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.
A sentiment expressed by some, but provides no assistance to the OP, seeking help to listen to AM in the clear, today. What part of the spectrum (that's not for sale or already allocated) do you propose to place this new FM band? And don't forget that in some places, FM itself is being, or has been, sunset in favor of Digital. By your 2035 deadline, who knows even if broadcast radio in any form will still be a thing.
I totally agree with you. Most European countries have a mandate to move AM and FM to Digital Audio Broadcasting on a different band. I believe band lll 174 MHz-240 MHz but it’s still a terrestrial over the air system. Will that happen in this country, it’s possible. Something has to eventually be done with AM radio it’s truly in terrible shape. HD Radio is not currently the answer. It’s time that broadcasters and manufacturers get it together and make this work. The Broadcasting Industry needs to get creative and support this system. Manufacturers need to get a cheaper price product and a variety of HD radio product in the marketplace. HD radio has been with us for over 16 years and is doing zilch in the marketplace, broadcasters are neglecting their HD sub-channels to the point of dead air 24/7. This is really sad for the broadcasting industry, it seems most broadcasters are more focused on streaming.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:39 am

Digital on MW AM is no the answer. Making decent DSP noise-blanker analog variable bandwidth stereo AM radios where you have FM stereo is the better answer; plus, put some college kids on the AM stations and let it be the free form FM of the late 60's early 70's- and you still need 20 clear channel AM stations, but with 750KW to blast thru the noise.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Big Signal wrote:

WUFS

WMNF

WDUV

Radio Havana

These will make nice doorstops one day.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 am
SolarMax wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm
Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:36 am
Time to sunset AM radio. It’s becoming more useless as more electronic devices are being used. The FCC should consider a mandate to shut all AM stations off by 2035. Create a new FM band for AM stations to move onto that band.
A sentiment expressed by some, but provides no assistance to the OP, seeking help to listen to AM in the clear, today. What part of the spectrum (that's not for sale or already allocated) do you propose to place this new FM band? And don't forget that in some places, FM itself is being, or has been, sunset in favor of Digital. By your 2035 deadline, who knows even if broadcast radio in any form will still be a thing.
I totally agree with you. Most European countries have a mandate to move AM and FM to Digital Audio Broadcasting on a different band. I believe band lll 174 MHz-240 MHz but it’s still a terrestrial over the air system. Will that happen in this country, it’s possible. Something has to eventually be done with AM radio it’s truly in terrible shape. HD Radio is not currently the answer. It’s time that broadcasters and manufacturers get it together and make this work. The Broadcasting Industry needs to get creative and support this system. Manufacturers need to get a cheaper price product and a variety of HD radio product in the marketplace. HD radio has been with us for over 16 years and is doing zilch in the marketplace, broadcasters are neglecting their HD sub-channels to the point of dead air 24/7. This is really sad for the broadcasting industry, it seems most broadcasters are more focused on streaming.

Lucky 615

Have you ever made a post that didn't include your demand that all AM stations shut down?

If you don't like AM radio, don't listen to it.

I will listen to an FM station if I like the program, and will listen to the FM side if it has a better signal.

FM has very little to offer in the Detroit Market. About the only FM listening I do in my area is WUOM, for "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" and "All Things Considered".

Outside the Detroit area, FM does have some good stations. I like spinning the FM dial in Western Illinois and Iowa (I have relatives that live in Nebraska).

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:36 pm

AM would be okay if one could get past the electrical and computer interference. But if one loves to hear an electric razor when a talk show is on well that’s okay. The major problem is interference if you have a solution bring it on. AM has barely any listeners and the audience is dying literally. FM will be around for decades to come. FM does need to get back to basics or it too will lose out to internet in decades to come.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:00 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Big Signal wrote:

WUFS

WMNF

WDUV

Radio Havana

These will make nice doorstops one day.
Right now, they're just in Florida collecting dust and it looks like they will be for a long long time. Maybe I should have used them as door stops.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:06 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm
I have a GE Superadio in my kitchen that I use mainly to listen to WWJ. The signal almost always has a buzz or static. In particular, there's a fluorescent light in the kitchen that puts out so much interference that it renders the radio unlistenable on the AM band, even if I have the radio out on the patio or porch. All this makes sense to me, but here's where it gets weird.

There are lights in the hallway that leads to the kitchen. When those lights are on, the static is reduced to almost nothing. How is it that these lights reduce the problem? BTW, the radio is running on batteries, not AC power.

My guess is that there is one device or appliance on your branch line that generates RF energy from the circuitry in it.

Say, for example, you turn on a traditional incandescent light, and the buzz weakens or goes away. There's not much inductance in that light bulb filament.

This provides a short circuit from hot to neutral, greatly reducing the noise.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic