Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Booming in from the north

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Mega Hertz

Booming in from the north

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:19 am

Lots of good reception this morning in Brighton coming from the north.

106.1 The Point from Tawas City beating Q106 from Jackson. That one's always a lock around here.

Also stereo locks of WINS 98.5, 97.7 out of Sandusky I believe (were playing a Guess Who song), ESPN 100.9, some kind of softer music on 98.9, hip hop on 96.5, stations from Flint and Saginaw coming in like locals.

102.7 was nowhere to be found. Even after the move to Oak Park, they're usually pretty steady here.

All in all, not a bad morning for pulls from the north!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

cckadlec

Re: Booming in from the north

Post by cckadlec » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 am

97.7 is a pretty horrible signal in Michigan (most of its signal goes into Ontario actually). You more likely heard 97.7 Beaverton which is one of the major night enhacement stations that ends up going longer distances with tropo. It's *possible* it was Sandusky given your location being Brighton though. For the rest of the state, Beaverton would be expected. I'd imagine 98.9 was Flint, 96.5 is Lansing (DeWitt).

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Thank you! I seem to recall getting Tigers games on 97.7 back when. I always thought the ID said Sandusky but maybe not. One of those mornings where I'm getting something on almost every frequency.

-TurkeyTop

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:56 pm
Thank you! I seem to recall getting Tigers games on 97.7 back when. I always thought the ID said Sandusky but maybe not. One of those mornings where I'm getting something on almost every frequency.
Your Tigers station on 97.7 is indeed Sandusky as the other 97.7 does not air the TIgers. Looks like you solved your own question :blink ! I wasn't able to listen to anything this morning sadly, but there will be many other mornings to come. At least I think there will be... :shock:

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:46 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:24 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:56 pm
Your Tigers station on 97.7 is indeed Sandusky as the other 97.7 does not air the TIgers. Looks like you solved your own question :blink ! I wasn't able to listen to anything this morning sadly, but there will be many other mornings to come. At least I think there will be... :shock:

I hope so, too ;)

I live in a pretty decent area for reception. I'm close enough to so many different areas that have broadcasts that I can get even further ones in on a good morning. AM, on the other hand, is much harder, especially because I'm in the null for a few stations, and you can forget any after-dark locals.

I'll try again Sunday morning and actually write down what I get. Stay safe!

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Here's one booming in pretty strongly from the south at the moment:

92.1 WOHF from Bellevue, OH. Confirmed via RDS. Heard Motley Crue "Smokin' in the Boys Room" moments ago.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FM

I never knew this station existed.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 pm
Here's one booming in pretty strongly from the south at the moment:

92.1 WOHF from Bellevue, OH. Confirmed via RDS. Heard Motley Crue "Smokin' in the Boys Room" moments ago.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FM

I never knew this station existed.
A decade ago, that station was CHR WNRR "92-1 The Hits." Anyone remember that?

I often get WTGV (and WMRX) in Whitmore Lake in the summer. With WMRX and WTGV now both running classic hits formats, it's difficult to tell which is which at first listen, unless WTGV happens to be airing Detroit PBP.

I had WQLB Hits FM from Tawas coming through last night, along with WKJC.

Soft music on 98.9 was probably WAWM Air 1 from Petoskey, unless you were hearing old-school beautiful music in which case it was probably WEMP from Wisconsin!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic