Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Using Sun's Azimuth for Aiming Antenna

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
jimh

Using Sun's Azimuth for Aiming Antenna

Post by jimh » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:11 am

I removed my post on how to use the Sun's azimuth to determine an antenna heading. All the follow-on comments seemed to want to change the topic. I leave this thread to the follow-on posters to introduce their new topics.

For readers interested in the original topic, I have moved that article to

Antenna Alignment Using Sun Azimuth
https://continuouswave.com/radio/antenn ... imuth.html
Last edited by jimh on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

km1125

Re: Using Sun's Azimuth for Aiming Antenna

Post by km1125 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:42 am

That's got to be a pretty high gain antenna for that narrow a beamwidth! What kind of antenna is it?

jimh

Post by jimh » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm

I have removed my comments about using the Sun's azimuth to determine antenna heading since no one wanted to discuss that topic.
Last edited by jimh on Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 pm

The Idea of aiming directions within ONE DEGREE, is overthinking./ overkill.
Usually you can aim a TV antenna within 30 degrees of the signal source with no terrible degrading of signal , often in a city area you may want to aim to REDUCE multipath effects. (at least you could with old Analog signals).
Gain of Antennas determine how close you have to aim.
Have fun on the roof or on the tower in this snowy season !

jimh

Post by jimh » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:47 am

I have removed my comments because they were no longer on the original topic of using the Sun to determine antenna heading.
Last edited by jimh on Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:46 pm

If you have a good computer and program, you can compute azi to whatever fine degree you want.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:58 am

Some of the old Alliance Tenna Rotor Control Boxes (and some other North American Philips licensed brands) had 10 degree detents in the control knob. You had to throw it out of synch, forget how that was done, to aim it more accurately. With 10 degree detents, you could be off as much as 5 degrees maximum.

How critical aiming is necessary also depends on putting cochannel stations in a deep null when possible to reduce cochannel interference on Amplitude Modulated Analog Video signals, and Capture Ratio on FM signals. Before my antennas fell down, or were removed by roofers, I used to get plenty of cochannels without much interference. The best for that was the continuous rotation Alliance Control Boxes. The Channel Master and Archer Radio Shack knock offs were difficult to do that with. But the best direction could be a few degrees wither side to get the best D/U ratio. With parabolic type dish antennas, you may indeed need more accurate pointing.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic