Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
audiophile

Re: WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:03 pm
They were a little slow this time. I really enjoyed the four and a half months where it was turned off! :)
I-bloc sounds hideous on an AM talk station.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Ben Zonia

Re: WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:03 pm
They were a little slow this time. I really enjoyed the four and a half months where it was turned off! :)
I-bloc sounds hideous on an AM talk station.
She sounds hideous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loLPiPtwxQ

But. But. We can make it better if we just make all your 300,000,000 radios obsolete!

IBOC is a like a horse built by a committee, a giraffe. Good idea on paper. Implementation not so good.

Then there were the total lies that the FCC and the TV industry promulgated about the range of digital TV stations being equal to analog, and that the Laws of Physics changed, and now UHF propagated better than VHF. If you hobble any entity enough, you can make it "equal" or inferior. By making antennas that have enough negative gain on VHF, by golly, you can make it worse than UHF. That is, until you reach the digital, virtual, and actual cliff.

Has it actually occurred to you that almost all the old "2,4,7" and "3,6,8" stations now operate on UHF? Imagine you could see the future in the 1960s, and went in and told the managers at WCBS-TV, WNBC-TV, WABC-TV, WBBM-TV, WMAQ-TV, WBKB/WLS-TV, WWJ-TV, and WXYZ-TV that one day 40 years from now they would all be on UHF? They would have called the "men in the white coats" and taken you to Bellevue! It was almost a superstitious fear that somehow, you would end up working at WCIU or WFLD instead of the "big three". At one point in early TV History, stations clamored to be in the VHF Low Band. Heaven forbid that you ended up clinging to even inferiorly propagating Channel 7, as the LTTG ABC Network did. At the time, "High" High VHF (9-13) and UHF were just for lowly independents and "educational" TV.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic