Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

VA3 FEZ

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

VA3 FEZ

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm

VA3 FEZ is an amateur repeater in London ON. I hear the same two operators yacking on there every night.

What's the etiquette for these things? Do they not have to get off and allow others to use it?
Last edited by Turkeytop on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Re: VA3 FAZ

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:58 pm

Get a license and find out. Handhelds are under $40.

If no one else is using it, they can use it as much as they want.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Re: VA3 FEZ

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Do they support it financially?

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Usually the right operator etiquette is to leave a space between key's to see if anyone else would like to break in and comment or make a call on the freq.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:13 pm
Do they support it financially?
Completely voluntary, they can make a donation if they want.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:47 am

Repeaters were set up originally to increase range for hand held and mobile operation .
When I was active on VHF FM mobile operation, I would check to see if I could hear a station on the input freq, and ask them to go to a simplex cahnnel to free up the repeater.
Today the use of repeaters is a given and Nobody even knows what simplex means.
I even have heard ops on a repeater both brag about running high power and how tall the towers were for their VHF antennas, NO mention of going to simplex freq to rag chew, they are just hanging on to the repeater as long as they want.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Overheard an interesting QSO tonight. One of the callers owns a small shop here locally. The Canadian government has asked him to begin manufacturing circuitry for medical ventilators.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Hamsters are usually pretty creative.

You need to join the ranks, so I can hear your great "did they prevail" stories. Those are are a hoot.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:19 pm

k8jd wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:47 am
Repeaters were set up originally to increase range for hand held and mobile operation .
When I was active on VHF FM mobile operation, I would check to see if I could hear a station on the input freq, and ask them to go to a simplex cahnnel to free up the repeater.
Today the use of repeaters is a given and Nobody even knows what simplex means.
I even have heard ops on a repeater both brag about running high power and how tall the towers were for their VHF antennas, NO mention of going to simplex freq to rag chew, they are just hanging on to the repeater as long as they want.
If they were just working simplex, then possibly thousands would be deprived of hearing their lively banter and witty repartee (or about their various old guy medical issues). Some of these guys just want a stage. Many systems only have a few core users anyway, so are essentially chat rooms for a few in-groups.
Given the dearth of activity on most analog repeaters nowadays, any activity is probably welcome. The digital voice modes, DMR, D-STAR, and C4FM/Fusion, are sparking new interest, but are incompatible, so separate equipment for each is needed to monitor or operate on repeaters using those modes.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:19 pm
[If they were just working simplex, then possibly thousands would be deprived of hearing their lively banter and witty repartee (or about their various old guy medical issues). Some of these guys just want a stage. Many systems only have a few core users anyway, so are essentially chat rooms for a few in-groups.
Given the dearth of activity on most analog repeaters nowadays, any activity is probably welcome. The digital voice modes, DMR, D-STAR, and C4FM/Fusion, are sparking new interest, but are incompatible, so separate equipment for each is needed to monitor or operate on repeaters using those modes.
Those characters should save their money up and apply for a AM broadcast license. Then they could send their banter out over thousands of square miles to an audience of Zero listeners. :D

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:59 pm

k8jd wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Those characters should save their money up and apply for a AM broadcast license. Then they could send their banter out over thousands of square miles to an audience of Zero listeners. :D
Or just go to CB.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I myself have no issue with someone ragchewing on a repeater, as long as they let the machine drop between transmissions so someone can come in and be heard. Yeah, I know back in the day it was encouraged to go simplex if both parties could hear each other. But for the most part, amateur radio repeaters are dead anymore. People using the machines are a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

rst599

Post by rst599 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:31 pm

Proper repeater etiquette includes leaving a short pause between each other's transmissions in case others want to break in. This is enforced by the repeater's control system, which will cut off a station that transmits for too long (which is called "timing out the repeater"). Regular users are generally expected to join and support the club or organization that operates the repeater, and to observe courtesies such as not using it for casual conversation late at night if the sponsor so requests, or not interfering with scheduled users such as traffic nets or public service operations. Naturally, radio rules and regulations need to be observed, including station identification and the use of the minimum power necessary to maintain communications.

There are lots of VHF and UHF FM repeaters around. Their heyday seemed to be in the 80s and 90s as the amateur ranks grew with the elimination of the Morse Code test for the Technician license. Most repeaters are very much underutilized now, so any activity is a good thing these days. A few are quite active, though, while others sit silent for hours or days except for the occasional ragchew or net. Digital voice modes are encouraging activity on repeaters that support it but it's not yet a major mode - analog FM still accounts for most activity.

Getting a ham license is not difficult, except for the current issues with being able to actually take the exam. Seventy-percent is the passing score on a 35-question exam for the entry level Technician license, and several radio clubs offer classes and study groups in addition to the many study guides, online courses and practice tests that are available. Technician privileges include all bands from 50 MHz and up, and limited privileges on selected HF bands (3.5 through 28.5 MHz).

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 19, 2020 12:09 am

Technician privileges include all bands from 50 MHz and up, and limited privileges on selected HF bands (3.5 through 28.5 MHz).
Seems like little more than glorified CB.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue May 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:09 am
Seems like little more than glorified CB.
Perhaps, but without the frequent outbursts of profanity, racial slurs, and nastiness. CB traffic in the USA often represents the darkest side of humanity.

Note that the OP resides in Canada, at least some of the time...

In Canada, if one passes the entry-level licence examination with a score of 80% or higher, you get a "Basic with Honours" certificate, and can operate on all bands. I'd go for that instead of (or in addition to) a Technician license in the USA.

To use a Canadian callsign in Florida, preface your callsign with "W4 slash". For example "W4/VE3YAK".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic