Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ in Kentucky

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
paul8539

WWJ in Kentucky

Post by paul8539 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 pm

I was coming back from a conference last month in Tennessee, and I was tuning around the AM radio in the car. I managed to pick up WWJ, not 100%, but easily hearable; about 10 miles south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky. It was Saturday evening in the 8:20PM time frame (still daylight), and I heard their 'Stardate' presentation.

This is unusual because WWJ usually seems to fade out in the evenings when I am in Toledo.

Rich

Re: WWJ in Kentucky

Post by Rich » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 am

Below are plots of the 1.0 and 0.1 mV/m daytime (groundwave) coverage contours for WWJ and other 950 kHz stations nearby.

Lots of co-channel interferers radiating towards Cincinnati, on that frequency.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:58 pm

You never know, exactly, what the AM band will do at any given time! I remember coming home from TX late at night, in 1966, and hearing WKNR 1310 off the back of their antenna down near Cinci also.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:09 pm

There have been a number of cases recently where stations forget to or deliberately fail to switch from day to night time pattern.

WSM, 650 Nashville 50 KW non directional usually pounds in at night around here. One night about a year ago, instead of WSM, I was hearing WNMT from Nashwauk MN.

During the day WNMT operates with 10 KW with and an omnidirectional pattern.

At night they operate with 1 KW and a directional pattern to protect WSM

I'm sure the only way they could ever beat out WSM at night around here would be with their daytime pattern and daytime power.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Here in Grayling I can usually pick up KMOX, WHAS, WLW, WOWO, WGN, CFRB at night. There are others but these are some of the more prominent ones.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic