Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Radio

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

New Radio

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Every year, when I'm in Florida, I order a new radio. This year I decided not to. I already have so many radios I just can't justify one more. I can;t even rationalize a use for another radio.

Today I was placing an order with Universal Radio for some other stuff and I decided to piggyback a radio along with the shipment. I just couldn't let the tradition die. At least, I didn't spend a lot of money. It's little more than a toy.

The Degen DE 26 AM FM SW mp3. $35

Should be here about Tuesday.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /3026.html

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Deleted User 14935

Re: New Radio

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:50 am

Looks like a piece of crap, I wouldn’t purchase one. They seen you coming when you ordered it, The guy packing the order probably dropped the radio a few times on the floor and stomped on it, The Dude most likely was 300+ lbs. and then he sneezed all over your new radio before shipping it to you. 😝 Sort of what you did in The Wal-Mart with the ice cream remember, Kind of like that, Good Day Turkey.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 am

For $35, take it for a spin. It's funny, I had an opportunity to pick up a vintage Hallicrafters for much less than what they go for, and actually said "Nah, I got enough radios". I can't believe that came out of my mouth.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:07 pm

So, it arrived today. If my expectations hadn't been so low, I'd be disappointed. I'll just have to keep reminding myself it's only a $35 radio. The only comparable radio I have is my Grundig/Eton Mini.

They're both in the same price range, but the Mini seems like a much better radio.

To be fair, I haven't really given it a proper trial yet. The first thing that struck me is that the tuning is by a rotary dial and it's really touchy. Difficult to tune it precisely.

I'll do a band scan later this week and post the results here.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 pm

From the looks of it Turkey, Who cares!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Earlier in this thread, someone observed this thing looks like "a piece of crap." Turns out, there's a good reason for that. It is a piece of crap.

This radio is a real dog. Sure, it's only a $35 radio. But it would have been overpriced at $10.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 am

I would’ve used the $35. To take my Grandchildren to McDonalds, All 8 of them and they would’ve had a good time in the play area while I drank my coffee and read the newspaper. Side Note: Skip The band scan it might get 3 AM Stations. Seriously though if this radio only has a rechargeable battery and not capable of regular batteries the radio will be no good if the rechargeable battery takes a shit, The radio will be useless.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Please let me know if you wish to thin your heard out and let go of a decent portable with SSB, like a RS DX or Sangean. Something cheap I can toss in my laptop bag.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm

So, this works okay as an MP3 player. Not that I needed another MP3 player, but at least I can take some solace in the fact that it works for something. It isn't a quite heavy enough for a door stop.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I have the Eton Mini. I like it. It’s sensitive, but if you’re not listening through earphones, it doesn’t sound good. Way too tinny. I prefer my Zenith Transoceanics. The Eton is obviously much more portable, which makes it my travel radio. I do wish it had SSB, but for $35, it’s a pretty good value.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 pm

I love 3 of my anolog tuning radio’s the Panasonic RF-2400D and Sony ICF-P26, And I can’t forget that resale shop find last fall, My Sony ICR-S71 AM Only radio, I paid only $8.00, The best radio I ever owned. The battery life is great on those two radios about 100 Hours, But the best is on the Sony ICR-S71 it takes 1 D size battery and last over 200 hours .
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Interesting you say that about the battery life. I have a Zenith Royal 475 next to my bed. I fall asleep with it running every night. I havent changed the batteries in almost a year, and still no sign of it getting quiet. I listen to another Zenith Royal 400 almost every day. Haven’t changed those batteries in probably 2 years. The Zenith transoceanic hasn’t had a change of batteries in about 7 or 8 years. Those old, battery powered analogs are fantastic.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Did you erase your comment about battery life?

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

You must love Zenith products, The name says it all.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm
Did you erase your comment about battery life?
No was still writing, I was still adding about battery life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic