All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

New Radio

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

New Radio

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Every year, when I'm in Florida, I order a new radio. This year I decided not to. I already have so many radios I just can't justify one more. I can;t even rationalize a use for another radio.

Today I was placing an order with Universal Radio for some other stuff and I decided to piggyback a radio along with the shipment. I just couldn't let the tradition die. At least, I didn't spend a lot of money. It's little more than a toy.

The Degen DE 26 AM FM SW mp3. $35

Should be here about Tuesday.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /3026.html

You have to use the good brand of duct tape. The cheap stuff, they can work it loose with their tongue.

Deleted User 14935

Re: New Radio

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:50 am

Looks like a piece of crap, I wouldn’t purchase one. They seen you coming when you ordered it, The guy packing the order probably dropped the radio a few times on the floor and stomped on it, The Dude most likely was 300+ lbs. and then he sneezed all over your new radio before shipping it to you. 😝 Sort of what you did in The Wal-Mart with the ice cream remember, Kind of like that, Good Day Turkey.

Mike Oxlong

Post by Mike Oxlong » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:22 am

For $35, take it for a spin. It's funny, I had an opportunity to pick up a vintage Hallicrafters for much less than what they go for, and actually said "Nah, I got enough radios". I can't believe that came out of my mouth.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:07 pm

So, it arrived today. If my expectations hadn't been so low, I'd be disappointed. I'll just have to keep reminding myself it's only a $35 radio. The only comparable radio I have is my Grundig/Eton Mini.

They're both in the same price range, but the Mini seems like a much better radio.

To be fair, I haven't really given it a proper trial yet. The first thing that struck me is that the tuning is by a rotary dial and it's really touchy. Difficult to tune it precisely.

I'll do a band scan later this week and post the results here.

You have to use the good brand of duct tape. The cheap stuff, they can work it loose with their tongue.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 pm

From the looks of it Turkey, Who cares!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Earlier in this thread, someone observed this thing looks like "a piece of crap." Turns out, there's a good reason for that. It is a piece of crap.

This radio is a real dog. Sure, it's only a $35 radio. But it would have been overpriced at $10.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 am

I would’ve used the $35. To take my Grandchildren to McDonalds, All 8 of them and they would’ve had a good time in the play area while I drank my coffee and read the newspaper. Side Note: Skip The band scan it might get 3 AM Stations. Seriously though if this radio only has a rechargeable battery and not capable of regular batteries the radio will be no good if the rechargeable battery takes a shit, The radio will be useless.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Please let me know if you wish to thin your heard out and let go of a decent portable with SSB, like a RS DX or Sangean. Something cheap I can toss in my laptop bag.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm

So, this works okay as an MP3 player. Not that I needed another MP3 player, but at least I can take some solace in the fact that it works for something. It isn't a quite heavy enough for a door stop.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I have the Eton Mini. I like it. It’s sensitive, but if you’re not listening through earphones, it doesn’t sound good. Way too tinny. I prefer my Zenith Transoceanics. The Eton is obviously much more portable, which makes it my travel radio. I do wish it had SSB, but for $35, it’s a pretty good value.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 pm

I love 3 of my anolog tuning radio’s the Panasonic RF-2400D and Sony ICF-P26, And I can’t forget that resale shop find last fall, My Sony ICR-S71 AM Only radio, I paid only $8.00, The best radio I ever owned. The battery life is great on those two radios about 100 Hours, But the best is on the Sony ICR-S71 it takes 1 D size battery and last over 200 hours .
Last edited by Deleted User 14935 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Interesting you say that about the battery life. I have a Zenith Royal 475 next to my bed. I fall asleep with it running every night. I havent changed the batteries in almost a year, and still no sign of it getting quiet. I listen to another Zenith Royal 400 almost every day. Haven’t changed those batteries in probably 2 years. The Zenith transoceanic hasn’t had a change of batteries in about 7 or 8 years. Those old, battery powered analogs are fantastic.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Did you erase your comment about battery life?

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

You must love Zenith products, The name says it all.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm
Did you erase your comment about battery life?
No was still writing, I was still adding about battery life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic