Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reduced ERP from "Overheight" FM Stations

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Re: Reduced ERP from "Overheight" FM Stations

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:05 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 am
WHNN has a pretty good pattern, considering the requirements. The tower is near Quanicassee. They wanted as large as possible major lobe toward Bay City and Midland (Licensed is ~100 kW) to the West, a shallow null to the SW (Licensed is ~31.6 kW, but toward Saginaw) to protect short spaced WMAX-FM 96.1 Holland, and as large as possible lobe toward Flint (Licensed is ~90 kW) and short spaced WDVD. As I recall, WHNN agreed with coowned Cumulus WDVD to have mutual maximum facilities at some point. I seems like they moved back to the M-15 tower for a while at some point, while they redesigned the directional antenna because they were unhappy with the pattern.

I don't know if any of you know more about the antenna system. It's a 12 Bay. I'll have to look to see if there is more information. It does a pretty good job from my experience. I don't know if the measured pattern could be better still.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=&call=WH ... d=&lang=en
We used to live at the northern end of Lake Huron on the Ontario side, roughly, across the lake from Alpena MI. Reception of WHNN wasn't uncommon up there.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Just checked the C&M page for WHNN antenna info, , nice quaddirectional pattern :D

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 pm

I think when they had it redesigned it was because of the null toward Saginaw, and maybe the relative field toward Midland.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:44 pm

k8jd wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Just checked the C&M page for WHNN antenna info, , nice quaddirectional pattern :D
Oh, Cavell and Mertz. I wish they had more information about very old AM DA patterns. There is some, but I can't find stuff like the dogleg WKNX and WBRB, and some of the original DAs from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. I think that instead of nondirectional, some of them should have gone to two towers with ~250 watts and sold part of the land rather than all of it. If you look at that one for KEIB 1150, it's too bad some more didn't just go for dual use sites.

I have a problem with stations who have 10000-50000 watts Daytime Nondirectional and a few watts at Night, and not powering down on time or at all.

The History Cards are nice, but there's not a whole lot of antenna information.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic