Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best portable radio for picking up the most stations?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
radioandtventhusiast

Best portable radio for picking up the most stations?

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:34 pm

I have a Sangean-ATS 405 that I use for traveling. It's not a bad radio, but I have problems with the radio resetting for no reason sometimes. I was wondering, what portable radio picks up the most stations and is great for DXing?

Turkeytop

Re: Best portable radio for picking up the most stations?

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the 405, but I don't think you can go wrong with anything from Sangean.

I have an ATS 606, an ATS 909, an LB 100 and a TB 100. They're all great radios.

Before I retired I did a lot of traveling for my job and spent a lot of nights in hotels. Radios in hotels are notoriously bad, so the ATS 606 was my travel radio.

Once, I checked into a hotel in downtown Toronto. When I got to my room on the 31st floor I turned on my radio and it wouldn't work. The display was all froze up with just random characters. No sound..

I opened up the drapes on the window and right away I guessed what was wrong. I was looking straight at the CN Tower about a block away. The strong RF signals were screwing up the computer in the radio.

I collapsed the whip antenna down into the radio, then it worked OK.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Lester The Nightfly

Re: Best portable radio for picking up the most stations?

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:54 pm

My personal favorite: Sony ICF-SW7600GR
https://www.sony.com/electronics/radios/icf-sw7600gr

I keep it around for the Zombie invasion...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic