All accepted registrations through February 15, 2019 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

any thoughtssss

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
fairbankshockeypuck

any thoughtssss

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm

I had asked a question and never got an answer....Maybe>>> we have am 970 5KW and 820AM 10kw..transmitters three miles north of town...same road...opposite sides and about a football field or so apart....Permafrost area.....wonder if those effect coverage areas....

24 AM FM'S in area of 30,000 city population...100,000 within 100 miles....'

several religious. LP..and translators....

FM fullpowers go out almost 100 miles

cckadlec

Re: any thoughtssss

Post by cckadlec » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 am

I'm confuzzled. Are you asking if the proximity of the towers affect each of their coverage areas? I'd elaborate on the permafrost comment, but the permafrost region doesn't start until just south of Hudson Bay, so I reckon you won't be seeing permafrost here until at least just before the next ice age. (However, I note your username mentioning Fairbanks, so perhaps that is important information for your post if you are located outside the general Michigan area...).

In addition, regardless of location, FM and AM cannot be compared. They propagate through completely unrelated means. FM propagates via the troposphere and AM via the ionosphere. They do not affect each other (unless through studio links or improper engineering; I could often hear my local North Korean AMs and TV on co-owned FMs originating from the same studio as they didn't have the best engineering practices).

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Local (daylight) AM signals actually are ture ground wave, where the transmitter antenna induces currents in the surface of the Earth !

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 am
I'm confuzzled. Are you asking if the proximity of the towers affect each of their coverage areas? I'd elaborate on the permafrost comment, but the permafrost region doesn't start until just south of Hudson Bay, so I reckon you won't be seeing permafrost here until at least just before the next ice age. (However, I note your username mentioning Fairbanks, so perhaps that is important information for your post if you are located outside the general Michigan area...).

In addition, regardless of location, FM and AM cannot be compared. They propagate through completely unrelated means. FM propagates via the troposphere and AM via the ionosphere. They do not affect each other (unless through studio links or improper engineering; I could often hear my local North Korean AMs and TV on co-owned FMs originating from the same studio as they didn't have the best engineering practices).
The OP lives in Alaska.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm

k8jd wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm
Local (daylight) AM signals actually are ture ground wave, where the transmitter antenna induces currents in the surface of the Earth !
Oops, totally didn't consider groundwave there. Thanks for the correction! (As if we barely have enough daylight this time of year for a handful of hours of decent groundwave...) :(

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Oldies 84

Post by Oldies 84 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 pm

First of all, Are these stations in Fairbanks, If they are where is KFAR 660 in all this, You mentioned 820 and I’m guessing it’s KCBF and 970 KFBX, So what is it that you’re asking that the fact the two stations 820 and 970 are cutting into each other’s signal could that be the question? In my opinion and I could be off on this, The permafrost could possibly effect the ground wave during the day, And as far as the night signal you may have normal skywave conditions.

The Oldies 84 Legendary AM Station Of The Day, WKNR “Keener 13” Dearborn, Michigan

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Stations with closeby other transmitting antennas are NOTHING,
There are many locations, where real estate is costly, where AM stations actually SHARE a tower or ARRAY. Co-located transmitters can use high Q filters to isolate each other and combine signals to feed ONE antenna system ! :eek

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm

One good example is Honolulu, there are 17 AM stations and only 7 towers placed around the city with shared transmitters/.!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic