All accepted registrations through February 15, 2019 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

WPON , Time to pull the plug.

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Oldies 84

WPON , Time to pull the plug.

Post by Oldies 84 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 pm

How much longer before this debacle is totally finished, Let’s face it, Time for the owner to pack it in and call it a day.

The Oldies 84 Legendary AM Station Of The Day, WKNR “Keener 13” Dearborn, Michigan

k8jd

Re: WPON , Time to pull the plug.

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm

SO Sorry dupe posting.
Last edited by k8jd on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm

On the GoogleEarth image of 7/05/2018, the towers are finally up and there have been some days last month when the transmitter was on the air for a few hours.
Probably fine tuning the directional pattern ? Still some hope ,
I do not think the Fenton station has been using the new shared array yet ?????

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Considering that WCXI could be at least 5 kW (maybe more) DA-D and 1 kW DA-N with the existing pattern from the existing Licensed Site, I think they should just stay put at the Licensed Site. If they are still bent on moving, a complete nondirectional conductivity survey should be done in the Summer to determine the real extent of the service contours from the Proposed Site. I have the feeling that its not a very good site, and you would end up wasting a bunch of power getting out very well from there. I base this on the fact that I can BARELY hear WPON 30 miles East with 250 watts Nondirectional on a GE SuperRadio II. I get a mix of WBRN, WBNS, and WKAM stronger than WPON most days during hours even outside of CH, closer to solar noon.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed, 2 deg source. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 am

I have been shaking my head at the slow progress at the WPON/WCXI array site, especially since its owner already has the attention of the FCC. They really should put out something, anything, to show that they still intend to make use of the station (cheapest option woiuld be to simulcast WNZK).

WCXI could use more than 5kW - they have a CP for 15kW (beamed essentially East from a three-tower slight dogleg array).

As far as the oft repeated "turn the license in" "give it up" comments, it would be the height of idiocy to walk away after the array has already been built.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic