Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Can't Get WJBK Off-Air in SW Detroit

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Can't Get WJBK Off-Air in SW Detroit

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 am

I decided to give the above antenna a shot just for shits & giggles after reading Milk's negative review as compared to the many favorable reviews found on Amazon's web site.

I must say - I tried it on two different TVs - and I'm rather impressed by the results!

I would be curious to know if Milk was using it with the add-on amplifier or without. I used it without the add-on amplifier, since I live only about 3 miles from the WDIV-DT tower and didn't want to overload my receiver with RF.

On the TV in my living room, I picked up all the same channels I receive with the $9.50 GE antenna that Moldyoldie wound up purchasing, except the signal strength on nearly all channels was stronger when using the 1byone flat panel antenna. Yes, even WJBK-DT (RF channel 7) was stronger. WHNE-DT was unbelievably strong; it lit up all bars on the signal strength meter on my TV with a 32 dB signal! With the GE antenna, I usually can only get a 21 dB or 22 dB signal, and that's with the antenna positioned in the sweet spot.

Now, to the TV in my master bedroom. That TV is in close proximity to a south facing window. I placed the antenna in the window. In addition to all the normal channels, with the the antenna placed in the window, I was able to pick up WLPC-DT (1 bar out of 5 on that TV) with no pixelation.

I was also able to pick up - get this - CBET-DT from Windsor (1 bar out of 5)! Yes, channel 9.1 came in on an antenna we thought would only work on UHF. I have never been able to pick up CBET-DT over the air prior to today. Yes, the signal was flimsy and did break up every few seconds, but at least it was able to be decoded. This was with the antenna positioned in a window, facing south, about 7 feet above ground level. Once I moved the antenna away from the window, I did lose CBET-DT.

I'd love to see what this antenna would be able to do in a two-story house from a bedroom TV on the second level.

Milk

Post by Milk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 am
I decided to give the above antenna a shot just for shits & giggles after reading Milk's negative review as compared to the many favorable reviews found on Amazon's web site.

I must say - I tried it on two different TVs - and I'm rather impressed by the results!

I would be curious to know if Milk was using it with the add-on amplifier or without. I used it without the add-on amplifier, since I live only about 3 miles from the WDIV-DT tower and didn't want to overload my receiver with RF.

On the TV in my living room, I picked up all the same channels I receive with the $9.50 GE antenna that Moldyoldie wound up purchasing, except the signal strength on nearly all channels was stronger when using the 1byone flat panel antenna. Yes, even WJBK-DT (RF channel 7) was stronger. WHNE-DT was unbelievably strong; it lit up all bars on the signal strength meter on my TV with a 32 dB signal! With the GE antenna, I usually can only get a 21 dB or 22 dB signal, and that's with the antenna positioned in the sweet spot.

Now, to the TV in my master bedroom. That TV is in close proximity to a south facing window. I placed the antenna in the window. In addition to all the normal channels, with the the antenna placed in the window, I was able to pick up WLPC-DT (1 bar out of 5 on that TV) with no pixelation.

I was also able to pick up - get this - CBET-DT from Windsor (1 bar out of 5)! Yes, channel 9.1 came in on an antenna we thought would only work on UHF. I have never been able to pick up CBET-DT over the air prior to today. Yes, the signal was flimsy and did break up every few seconds, but at least it was able to be decoded. This was with the antenna positioned in a window, facing south, about 7 feet above ground level. Once I moved the antenna away from the window, I did lose CBET-DT.

I'd love to see what this antenna would be able to do in a two-story house from a bedroom TV on the second level.
I think I used a different model from Best Buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 am

Thanks for the clarification.

So, Moldie, if your uncle still wants a shot at picking up CBET-DT over the air, he should give this antenna a shot. I do not believe he will lose reception of WJBK-DT. The antenna works well on VHF hi (channels 7 to 13; WJBK transmits on channel 7). It is not designed to work on VHF lo (channels 2 to 6).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic