Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

WWV Alert

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

WWV Alert

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 pm

At 4 minutes past each hour, WWV has been broadcasting a message that they will be off the air on all of their frequencies on Feb 21 and 22, starting each day at 1400 UT and lasting no more than 8 hours each day. This time has been scheduled to perform some kind of upgrade.

A good opportunity to DX those frequencies for other signals.

Plate Cap

Re: WWV Alert

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Turkeytop wrote:to perform some kind of upgrade.
AC power upgrade.....7 am to 5 pm max local at the TX.
Turkeytop wrote:A good opportunity to DX those frequencies for other signals.
Good idea...but I bet CONUS will mostly hear 'VH. Outages are not terribly uncommon....there have not been any at 'V since 2014, but 'VH is off quite a bit. They were completely down on all freqs on New Year's Eve, and one freq at a time in November.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 pm

How many of you remember when the TL was in Beltsville, MD and how much better the signal was in Michigan than from Fort Collins, CO? As they should be synchronous in frequency anyway, and considering that the Solar activity doesn't seem to be going back to normal any time soon, would WWV be better off having one transmitter on each coast, or have one back in Beltsville, MD and the other in Fort Collins, CO with a DA beamed toward the West Coast?

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Interesting thoughts.....I'm very surprised there is enough call for the facilities in general, and would doubt they would do any major improvements like additional sites. I was surprised to see 25 mHz come back....

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:06 pm

We had a Magnavox AM/SW portable back in the 1960s before they moved to Fort Collins. Without any external antenna at all, even without the telescoping whip provided, the 5 MHz transmitter was very easily received. Strangely, though the SW went from about 3.5 to 10 MHz, I don't remember how the 10 MHz came in. I could hear WWV on the Caravelle at times, and that was regenerative on the Receive position, in blank spots. I've heard that you can get the 2500 kHz very close to Fort Collins on a superheterodyne image at 1590 kHz.

Anyone remember the propagation forecast ever being better than N7, -. --... ?

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I remember WWV from as far back as maybe 1967. I'm really amazed they brought back the 25 MHz signal as well. I found out that by accident one day tuning up an old shortwave rig a couple years back. I recall listening for WWVH to bleed through during the silent minutes starting at 45 past the hour. Every now and then, it would, usually on 5 or 10 MHz.

Then, there's CHU. I remember CHU coming through ungrounded turntables back then. Haven't had that happen in years though, probably because I always ground them before I turn them up to avoid the deafening "smart noise", ya know?

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Last November 2, when I was on my annual DXpedition, PPE - Observatório Nacional, the Brazilian Time Signal Station was walking right over WWV on 10 MHZ. The Portuguese language station has a power of 1 KW.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 pm

CFRX came in very well on 6070 kHz with 1 kW in the early evening hours on the Magnavox, barefoot. I could hear CFRX throughout the day on an old Westinghouse AM/SW table radio with a short antenna. That radio went from 5.9-18 MHz, so I heard WWV on 10 MHz and 15 MHz on that, as well as CHU on 7335 kHz and occasionally 14670 kHz. I did hear the VOA from Greenville occasionally on the Rocket Radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

CFRX is usually good in the evening, here in the Tampa Bay area.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:46 pm

I also remember hearing the strong WWV signals on 5 & 10 MHz out of Maryland. My dad had a GE table radio with a SW band, 4-12mc (which was the gateway drug to SWLing, Ham Radio, TV repair, electronics, broadcasting, etc.). Seems to me that the Voice announced Eastern Standard Time, every five minutes, with just a long beep at the other four minutes. CHU did top of minute announce- "Dominion Observatory Canada. Eastern Standard time..." I don't know when either of them switched to UTC/GMT.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Anyone know anything about the CFRX antenna? It seems to have an amazing signal for 1000 watts. It's nondirectional, so gain could be from monopole height or Franklinzation/Sectionalization. While a Sectionalized tower could provide considerable gain, power gain has to come from somewhere, and would result in some distance or distances where the vertical radiation characteristic/pattern reaches a minimum. Since there seem to be no "doughnuts" of high angle poor service, I would assume it is a monopole of 195 degrees or less. I can't find antenna information online in a cursory search.

Consider that the Voice of America uses 250 kW and 500 kW transmitters, and according to FCC International Broadcasting Regulations, are required to use antennas with a power gain of at least 10. But those usually used curtain arrays that are very directional. These are similar in engineering design to the old Finco Bedspring Antenna, but much larger for the longer wavelength. Like the Finco Bedspring Antenna, these can also operate at a number of widely spaced frequencies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic